Shiva Vs. Tempest (Longish)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Pomeroy, May 12, 2002.

1. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I'm sure you all know you answer just from reading the subject of this thread, but it goes deeper than that...
    I was wondering what would be the best for my application? A sealed Tempest, or a Ported Shiva... (or a ported tempest, but we'll see about that one)
    I'm pretty sure i'll be using an AVA250 amp, but i'm open to suggestions...
    I'm just wondering what kind of different sounds the two would produce...
    This is my info of what i'm looking for... I took it out of another post I wrote, so forget the formatting [​IMG]
    1. "Sounds really good" to me would be being able to flow seamlessly to my mains, but yet still be able to go the extra mile with some good ole rumbling without any type of distorstion, like port noise and what not.
    2. This would be my first home theater sub.
    3. The only subs that i've heard are those tiny ones you can get from future shop and crap like that, so i'm pretty sure that i'll be able to surpass that. Oh yeah, and my comp sub, but I put that in my TV room for a bit and I was not too impressed, the room just washed out any type of base that thing had.
    4. This sub would probably be 50/50 music hometheater, my taste in music is very varied, but I do really enjoy nice cello music, so I would like something that would sound alright producing the lows of cello. But also be able to pump some nice base for base lines, and be able to produce good movie atmosphere.
    5. My listening room is about 11.5' by 23' with 9' ceilings. The narrow part is where the TV goes.
    Now with these high demands you're probably wondering what i'm smoking, but just so you know, it doesn't have to be ultra loud, I just like something to complement the movie, and not hurt my ears... I have no idea what my listening levels are in terms of dB, but I don't think they're that high, like movie theater level (absolute max) and lower.
    Oh yeah, my current setup is pretty bare bones:
    For the mains we have KEFs from the mid 80's, Reference 102s I believe.
    We have a Yamaha natural sound amplifier from the same vintage (CR -620)
    Our DVD player is an Onkyo DV-S535
    Right now, we are just using the stereo outs fromt the DVD player to go into the amp, so I would just use the sub out from the DVD player as well.
    For size constrains, I think i'll be building a coffee table style sub... I really don't like the looks of sonosubs so thats pretty much out.
    Thanks very much for all of your help!
    Will

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If you can handle the size of the enclosure (at least 8 ft^3, but 10ft^3 is better), go with the Tempest, you won't regret it.

3. Will Pomeroy

Would the sealed tempest sound similar to the ported shiva, or would the tempest really out shine it?

4. Will Pomeroy

Okay, I just came up wiht an awsome plan, but it leaves me with only 5ft^3, and there is absolutely no room to go bigger...

5. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

Tempest sealed or vented shiva. In your case I'd probably go with sealed tempest for awesome SQ.

6. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

While both are awesome subs, I really like the way a sealed Tempest sounds and does just fine for home theater. If I had to choose I would go that route.
    PS. I have had both in my home theater. [​IMG]

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Given the price is so similar between them I'd go Tempest all the way. I've owned both and IMO the tempest is damn hard to beat. One option you might not of thought about is to build a ported tube for movies. If you like the sound of sealed subs simply plug the port and convert it to a sealed model. This would give you maximum flexibility depending on your room and your tastes etc

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I chose a tempest over the shiva because it was only $25 more and I believe that those extra specs the tempest had are worth it.

9. Tim Hood

Tim Hood Agent

"Okay, I just came up wiht an awsome plan, but it leaves me with only 5ft^3, and there is absolutely no room to go bigger... "

You could buy 2 and go isobarik?

Tim

10. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

So is the tempest the all around best speaker out there, or the one that gives the most bang for the buck? What about JBL and or SVS speakers?

11. Will Pomeroy

Well, i'm also trying to cut down on costs... My "awsome idea" is as follows: My parents really object to me builind a gigantic sub that would take up half of the room, but in our room, we have a nice looking cedar chest. My idea is to empty the chest, and then build a "Subwoofer Insert" that i can just put in there, and all I would have to do, is remove the bottom of the chest. I have it all worked out in my head, but it only leaves me with 5 cubic feet internally.
    I don't think that I would go for 2 tempests, it would simply be too expensive... [​IMG]
    But thanks for the idea [​IMG]

12. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

"One option you might not of thought about is to build a ported tube for movies. If you like the sound of sealed subs simply plug the port and convert it to a sealed model. "

What affect would it have if I plugged the ports on my 480L dual Tempest sub? What does it do to the tuning, sound, etc?? TIA...Mike