What's new

Shiva --VS-- Stryke SAE1204 (1 Viewer)

Hello,
I just finished my 85 liter ported box for the
Shiva, but I havent got the Shiva yet. i was going to order it when I finished my box, but
I have run into a dilema... One of my friends told me tha the Stryke SAE1204 subwoofer went on sale for $109.00!!! I checked it out and it looks to be superior to the shiva in many ways. (cast basket, bigger magnet, and voice coils, 5 way binding post terminals) Should I order the Stryke instead of the Shiva? Have any of you had experience with stryke audio, or the SAE1204? NOTE: the reccomended allingnmet for the stryke sub is a 3cu. foot ported box, whick is exactly what i got. my amp is a PE 150 watt plate. it will be crossed over at 80 Hz. I am looking for good SPL with my weak amp, and good tight sound. Which driver will be best?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I haven't used the Stryke, but I've heard only good things about it, and it does model better than the Shiva in that box tuned to 20Hz or so probably due to its lower Vas.
btw, your amp, depite its rating of "only" 150 watts, is anything but "weak"
icon14.gif
. And it's actually got appreciably more capacitance than the 250 watt models, and should work splendidly. Do deactivate the boost, though.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
sorry to burst in on your thread here, but it has prompted a couple of questions I have. I too would like a recommendation between this sub and the Shiva and to add to the mix, the Tempest.
I have a 3.5 ft piece of 20" sonotube that I have been holding on to for the making of my first DIY sub project. For the longest while I was set on the Shiva, but more and more people keep saying go for the Tempest instead.
How do you think a Tempest would work in a 20" sonotube config that can be no longer than 3.5 ft (since that's all I've got). If it won't work, would this Stryke sub be a good step between the two?
Also, I, like Brian, had assumed that a 150W plate amp may not be enough for a sub of this nature. Are you saying it will perform more than well enough, or just adequately. Since I have yet to purchase an amp I'd like ot know if I can get away with a 150W one or what I'd lose over going with this versus a 250W one.
Thanks in advance
Robin Smith

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hello,
I figured I would give a little insight to the SAE1204 driver. It has a 2.5" VC compared to the 2" VC of the shiva, larger motor assembly, thicker top plate for lower distortion, cast aluminum basket, and binding post terminals. Due to the larger VC, it has slightly less spider area, lowering compliance slightly, so it has a smaller VAS. It is an excellent woofer for ported or PR applications, and will work well in a sealed enclosure as well.
Parameters with VC's in parallel:
Fs: 21Hz
Qms: 15
Qes: .342
Qts: .334
Vas: 110L
Cms: .32mm/N
Mms: 177grams
Sd: 492cm^2
Rms: 1.57Kg/s
Bl: 14.87 T/m
Re: 3.22ohm
Z: 4ohm
Le: 2.37mH
Pe: 500W
1wSPL: 87dB
2.83VSPL: 91dB
Air Gap: 9.5mm
VC Length: 38.1mm
Xmax: 14.3mm(one way)
Xmech: 22mm
Suggested alignments:
3 cubic foot ported enclosure
Fb 22Hz
F3 21.5Hz
3 cubic foot PR enclosure
(thunder 12.3 cabinet kit)
dual 15" 1400gram PR's
F3 20.5Hz
2.8 cubic foot sealed enclosure
critically damped Qtc .5
Fc 32Hz, F3 45Hz, F10 23Hz
1 cubic foot sealed enclosure
Qtc .707
Fc 46Hz, F3, 46Hz, F10 27Hz
John

Cam S

Screenwriter
I was thinking of going with the Shiva, but the Stryke SAE1204 seems more for me (I can deal with a 3cuft ported box).

My question is this. How good is Stryke's 350 watt plate amp?? I would much rather have 350 watts versus 250 watts from the PE or Adire amp. Anyone have any experience with this particular amp or any of the ones offered by Stryke???

Loren Jones

Agent
Hi,

I just recently finished a sub project with the SAE 1204 after going through many of the same deliberations as you regarding which driver to you. I chose the 1204 for many of the same reasons you cited as advantages. I can say it is a very solidly built driver to look at, and that sound wise it is very good. I also have it in 3 cubic feet ported with tuning around 21 hz. Deep, tight, integrates well with my Seas Embla's. Mine is powered right now with 205 watts per voice coil from a SoundCraftsMan pro-sound amp. Way more power than I need, but I can't vouch how it will sound with 150 watts on the coils in parallel. Anyway, haven't heard Shiva to compare, but I can definitely say the 1204 is a really great driver especially for the price.

Loren Jones

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks