Shiva --VS-- Stryke SAE1204

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Womble, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Brian Womble

Brian Womble Extra

Hello,
    I just finished my 85 liter ported box for the
    Shiva, but I havent got the Shiva yet. i was going to order it when I finished my box, but
    I have run into a dilema... One of my friends told me tha the Stryke SAE1204 subwoofer went on sale for $109.00!!! I checked it out and it looks to be superior to the shiva in many ways. (cast basket, bigger magnet, and voice coils, 5 way binding post terminals) Should I order the Stryke instead of the Shiva? Have any of you had experience with stryke audio, or the SAE1204? NOTE: the reccomended allingnmet for the stryke sub is a 3cu. foot ported box, whick is exactly what i got. my amp is a PE 150 watt plate. it will be crossed over at 80 Hz. I am looking for good SPL with my weak amp, and good tight sound. Which driver will be best?

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. Brian Womble

Brian Womble Extra

Thanks for posting!!!
    Why and how should I deactivate the boost?

4. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    sorry to burst in on your thread here, but it has prompted a couple of questions I have. I too would like a recommendation between this sub and the Shiva and to add to the mix, the Tempest.
    I have a 3.5 ft piece of 20" sonotube that I have been holding on to for the making of my first DIY sub project. For the longest while I was set on the Shiva, but more and more people keep saying go for the Tempest instead.
    How do you think a Tempest would work in a 20" sonotube config that can be no longer than 3.5 ft (since that's all I've got). If it won't work, would this Stryke sub be a good step between the two?
    Also, I, like Brian, had assumed that a 150W plate amp may not be enough for a sub of this nature. Are you saying it will perform more than well enough, or just adequately. Since I have yet to purchase an amp I'd like ot know if I can get away with a 150W one or what I'd lose over going with this versus a 250W one.
    Thanks in advance
    Robin Smith

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hello,
    I figured I would give a little insight to the SAE1204 driver. It has a 2.5" VC compared to the 2" VC of the shiva, larger motor assembly, thicker top plate for lower distortion, cast aluminum basket, and binding post terminals. Due to the larger VC, it has slightly less spider area, lowering compliance slightly, so it has a smaller VAS. It is an excellent woofer for ported or PR applications, and will work well in a sealed enclosure as well.
    Parameters with VC's in parallel:
    Fs: 21Hz
    Qms: 15
    Qes: .342
    Qts: .334
    Vas: 110L
    Cms: .32mm/N
    Mms: 177grams
    Sd: 492cm^2
    Rms: 1.57Kg/s
    Bl: 14.87 T/m
    Re: 3.22ohm
    Z: 4ohm
    Le: 2.37mH
    Pe: 500W
    1wSPL: 87dB
    2.83VSPL: 91dB
    Air Gap: 9.5mm
    VC Length: 38.1mm
    Xmax: 14.3mm(one way)
    Xmech: 22mm
    Suggested alignments:
    3 cubic foot ported enclosure
    Fb 22Hz
    F3 21.5Hz
    3 cubic foot PR enclosure
    (thunder 12.3 cabinet kit)
    dual 15" 1400gram PR's
    F3 20.5Hz
    2.8 cubic foot sealed enclosure
    critically damped Qtc .5
    Fc 32Hz, F3 45Hz, F10 23Hz
    1 cubic foot sealed enclosure
    Qtc .707
    Fc 46Hz, F3, 46Hz, F10 27Hz
    John

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I was thinking of going with the Shiva, but the Stryke SAE1204 seems more for me (I can deal with a 3cuft ported box).

My question is this. How good is Stryke's 350 watt plate amp?? I would much rather have 350 watts versus 250 watts from the PE or Adire amp. Anyone have any experience with this particular amp or any of the ones offered by Stryke???

8. Loren Jones

Loren Jones Agent

Hi,

I just recently finished a sub project with the SAE 1204 after going through many of the same deliberations as you regarding which driver to you. I chose the 1204 for many of the same reasons you cited as advantages. I can say it is a very solidly built driver to look at, and that sound wise it is very good. I also have it in 3 cubic feet ported with tuning around 21 hz. Deep, tight, integrates well with my Seas Embla's. Mine is powered right now with 205 watts per voice coil from a SoundCraftsMan pro-sound amp. Way more power than I need, but I can't vouch how it will sound with 150 watts on the coils in parallel. Anyway, haven't heard Shiva to compare, but I can definitely say the 1204 is a really great driver especially for the price.

Loren Jones