Shiva TL vs. Tempest Ported

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Adam Demuth, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Adam Demuth

Adam Demuth Agent

I'm (STILL...) planning out my HT, (man, the money is hard to come by in college) and I thought I had it all figured out. I was originally going to make a transmission line Shiva enclosure for my HT system. Why? Because I am thoroughly impressed with the TL's I've made so far (just some experimentation with drivers I've had laying around). I can fit a TL shiva into an old deco console stereo that is used as decoration (god is sounds terrible) right now. Also, it's just a cool theory (I feel all geeky inside because I understand it, even though it's relatively simple) [​IMG].

Well, then I met Mr. Tempest. .9 liters more displacement for $25 extra??? Sign me up! But wait... lets imagine that in a TL. I can almost feel it just thinking about it. I can also feel the smack across my face when she comes home and sees a huge 20" x 36" x 60" box sitting in the middle of our living room. Our console is big, but not that big. So I have to go with something smaller. I figure I could fit a monster ported box in my console stereo.

Here's the basic set up. I have a 300W plate amp from Apex JR that will be pushing it(this sub will be so overkill for my planned setup) This will be used for 95% HT. Any music that I will listen to from this set up will be while I am cleaning house. The stereo in the bedroom is much better suited to sitting down, relaxing and listening to music)Anyway, I'm really torn between the two. I need some help!

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Since it's for HT go with the Tempest and it's greater displacement