What's new

Shiva subwoofer connection help (1 Viewer)

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
i'm planning on building a SHIVA subwoofer in the near future and i have a old JVC stereo amp that i want to use to power it intell i get a plate amp.
Can i use a seperate channal to power each voice coil to add more power ?
The amp can be configerated into 4 ohms and 8 ohms.
Will this work ?
And will it give more power to the sub ?
Please help
Thanks from Tyler Jonczyk of Mission , British Columbia , CANADA

Julian Data

Second Unit
Tyler,
Yes, you can power each coil individually as long it's the same source. If you do this the ohms would be 8.
If you paralleld the VCs and do one connection you would get 4 ohms.
Providing that your receiver's amp is stable enough.. shoot for the 4 ohm solution.
------------------

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks.
The thing is i dont know how to configerate my amp so it sends a 4 ohm load out.
How come it would be better if i used a 4 ohm load insted of a 8 ohm load ?

Julian Data

Second Unit
The T/S parameters change at best for a driver in this config. It's easier to pull out power out of an amp, if it can.
You might to ck the manual of your receiver.. there might be a switch at the back or on the remote.
------------------

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
The thing is the amp is like 15 years old and i dont have a manuel or a switch one the back.
I'm thinking that it has to do with how you connect the wire to the sub.
Thanks for the help.

Julian Data

Second Unit
I'd wired the driver in series first to safe. Then switch the connection to parallel if you can switch the amp to 4ohms.
------------------

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Tyler,
Subwoofer performance is more about moving air that it is about power or impedance. For instance, a Sunfire Signature sub with its unique 10” driver requires 2500 watts to do what a Velodyne 15” or 18” sub can do with 400 watts.
The Shiva driver, like any other, can only move so much air. If one channel of your JVC amp can drive the Shiva to its maximum excursion using only one of its 8-ohm voice coils, then that’s all it’s going to do. You will get no more performance from the Shiva by connecting both coils in parallel on one channel (i.e., doubling the power delivered to the speaker), or by driving both voice coils with both amp channels (which will also double the power delivered to the speaker).
As you can see, the JVC will deliver the same total power to the Shiva using both channels driving both voice coils independently as it will by connecting the two voice coils in parallel on a single channel. The only difference (and it is a significant difference) is that the amp will be more stable with the former configuration, which is an easier load to drive.
Bottom line, the best thing to do is connect both channels of the JVC amp to the Shiva. It will give the best performance from the speaker with the least amount of effort from the amp.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks