Shiva Sub: Sealed or Vented?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by charles_w, Aug 3, 2002.

1. charles_w

charles_w Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the process of designing two subs to double as speaker stands. These will be used for music to mate with the HE10.1's.

I think I have it narrowed down to the 85L vented in a down firing application or the 88.5L sealed with the driver front firing.

Any thoughts or recommendations on these two would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lee

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

As good as the 85L vented model is, I would have to say go for the 88.5 sealed for music applications. You may also want to look at the 54L sealed as well....not quite as low of a Q but the size will be a little more manageable.

3. I agree..if this is a music system, go with the sealed subwoofer! Shoot for a Q=0.6 for a smoother extended roll-off or go up to 0.707 for a little more punch.

4. charles_w

Kyle,

Thanks I'm leaning toward the 88.5 Sealed. I have an Acurus 200x5 amp I was thinking of using to power them with, using 200w per voice coil. What are your thoughts on this setup as compared to using the 250 plate amp?

Thanks,
    Lee

5. Griff

Griff Stunt Coordinator

You may miss the controls of the 250, phase, bass boost etc.

6. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

The PE plate amp might be the way to go. You could get 1 amp for each sub and mount it in the box (PE has them on sale for $80-120watt or $120-250watt). Like Griff said you my miss those extra controls. It will be a lot easier to tune the subs with that var. xover on the plate amp as opposed to the standard 80hz 100hz 150hz found on most receivers LFE output. Plus, I know who could use that A200x5[​IMG]

7. Kyle Richardson

It depends on how you are going to hook them up. If your receiver/pre-pro has a flexible crossover then you wont need the crossover built into the plate amp, plus the Acurus is a great amp and will give nice power for them. Like Griff says, if you don't need the phase control and subsonic filter (which you typically wont need with a music rig) then I say use your existing amp for a great audiophile system.

8. Kyle Richardson

So now you've heard the pros and cons by different people it's up to you to decide which will work better [​IMG] Either way you really cannot lose.

9. charles_w

Thanks for responses,
    I think I'm going to add the Outlaw ICBM to use for the crossover with the Acurus Amp.

Any thoughts on wiring the voice coils separately vs. in parallel?

Thanks,
    Lee

10. Kyle Richardson

I say to wire them parallel so you show a 4 ohm load per channel to the amplifier, plus you will still have 3 channels on your amplifier free for other use. You can wire each VC individually but I really don't see much of an advantage in doing this other than it puts a little lighter load on the amplifier. This really shouldn't be a factor with the amplifier you are planning to use though.

Don't decide now. Wire each VC separately to a dual input cup mounted on the back of the sub. With the jumper strap in place on the input cup you are essentially running them parallel. Remove the strap and you can then run another channel to the input cup to run them separately. You can experiment very easily and switch set ups in about 1 minute.

11. charles_w

Kyle,

I'm still designing the sub-stands. I'm going with the sealed between the 54L and 88.5L. One thing I'm not decided on is front firing or downfiring. The downfiring could be built to look like an endtable but I don't want to do that if the front firing would sound better for music.

Thanks,

Lee

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Have you considered just building stands for the HE10.1 and using a single sealed Shiva/Tempest/Maelstrom based sub with an HS200 plate amp powering it. The HS200 has a quasi parametric EQ built in and a full 4th order linkwitz riley crossover with adjustable high and low pass filters (line level only). I think it would make for an awesome music system.

One Shiva should be enough to keep up with a pair of HE10.1 subs (a Tempest/Maelstrom would be more than enough). Plus this will allow you to put the sub where it has the best room interaction response (with the built in EQ if you are lucky enough to have only one problem mode, it can fix it as well). I probably wouldn't mount the amp in the sub enclosure though, you'll end up with pretty long interconnects. I'd just build a box for it to place it by your equipment rack and run speaker wire to the sub where ever it gets placed.

13. charles_w

Dustin,
    I have stands for the HE10.1's and a shiva sonosub and they sound pretty good together. Since I am adding the ICBM into my system and have a couple of unused channels on my Acurus, amp I thought for the cost of two shiva's and some MDF I would have a fun project to do.
    Do you think that front or down firing would be affected less by room placement or would there be no difference?
    Thnaks,
    Lee

14. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

No difference.

How you liking the HE10.1 and what are you running them off of currently?

15. charles_w

Dustin,

These speakers sound great the imaging and soundstage are really good. They also have a wide sweetspot. I'm powering them with the Marantz SR 8200 being used as a pre-pro and Acurus amps.

Lee