Shiva Sealed Sub Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harold A, Feb 24, 2001.

1. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

I will be building a sealed shiva sub 16x16x26 out of 3/4" MDF. A friend of mine with the woodshop and I were talking about box construction. I suggested just butt end joints screwed together. Your typical DIY box construction. He was talking about using a 45 degree mitre on all edges and then using biscuit joints to assemble it. This was no screws would be used at all in box construction except for mouting the driver. When we started thinking about the pressures that will box will be exposed to while playing he wondered if the biscuit joints would be enough to hold the box together. ANy one else have their boxes built this way? There is a ton of information out there on vented and sono shivas but not that many sealed designs outthere. Also, is there a point of diminishing returns on bracing? In other words My plans calles for 2 braces in the middle of the sub about 10" aparts to make room for the amplifier. Is this enough or do I want more. A third picture frame brace was also considered at the top and will probably be inculded in the plan. Lastly, the ACI subs and some other designs have the sub firing downward onto a wood base instead of the floor, is there any advantage to this?
    I know this is a lot of questions but I appreciate the help.
    Harold

2. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Simple butt joints and yellow wood glue will be stronger than the MDF itself (which I've experimentally verified).
    Mark