Shiva-sealed or not for 50/50 ht-music

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dean-P, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

I was planning on building a sealed 54l(q=0.707)box,but I was at another forum and someone mentioned to another that a ported was the better choice(the 85l Adire align)Now I am confused;which one would be the better choice for 50/50 ht-music?
    I'm going to use a Energy 100w-400w peak amp for now.

Thanks

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    That box is probably a little small for a Shiva. If I recall they work best in a 3 cubic ft. box if you’re going sealed. I have a pair of them in sealed 2.5 cubic ft. boxes, and they work great for both music and HT.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

Both would offer great performance in the field of HT or music. Personally I would go for the sealed aligment because they offer better power handling and output at frequency's that would be lower than the vented alingments tuning and don't require any subsonic filtering. The vented alignment will play louder but only in the small region near its tunning frequncy above that the vent has no effect other than increasing group delay and below the tuning frequency the driver will bottom easily and will have next to no output. So all things considered I would say sealed is the way to go.

Just my 2 cents

PS. Please consider a tempest they are a way better deal!

4. David Giesbrecht

When your talking sealed subs the bigger the box the better they sound! I would recomend a low Q sealed alingment Q (0.577).

5. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

Why is the tempest a better deal? What size box would you recommend for this? Where do you order from?
    Thanks Dean

6. David Giesbrecht

The tempest is a better deal because its output is equel to that of two shivas for only $25.00 extra it also has a lower fs 18.8 hz instead of 21 hz and in home audio in general the lower the FS the better because it will be more sensitive down low. As far as enclosures go 4.5 cubic feet for a Q of 0.7 works well but I prefer 8.5 cubic ft for a Q of 0.57. The lower Q (larger box) has lower group delay (tighter bass) and is more sensitive at low frequencies (deeper bass). I ordered my Tempests directly from Adire Audio you can also pick them up at acoustic visions or creative sound solutions (Canada)

www.adireaudio.com
    www.acoustic-visions.com
    www.creativesound.ca

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I'd go with a vented alignment, better "power handling" (actually, reduced excursion) as you go low and much more sensitivity in the deep bass approaching tuning. Something like the EBS from the Adire site is outstanding.
    Proper plate amp choice will alleviate bottoming concerns below tuning, but there's no telling what kind of boost/filter circuitry is included in this Energy amp...I assume this is from another sub?

For a sealed box, the Adire DPL12 is a much better choice in ~75L.

8. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't you just plug the port of the 142 liter EBS shiva to have a low Q sealed sub and get the best of both worlds?

9. ScottDIY

ScottDIY Agent

I was considering building the Adire EBS Shivia sub, but now after reading some good reviews on a ~75l sealed DPL12 sub I think that I may reconsider. At least for now, I may go with a larger Tempest sub for HT later. Does anyone have box design suggestion for a 75l DLP12. I am considering modifying the Adire sealed 88.5l box design for the Shivia . Should the DPL be front firing or can it be in a down firing box?

10. Mika-H

Mika-H Stunt Coordinator

It's a no-brainer for me! The sealed box has lower frequency response, tighter bass, is easier to build and is more tolerant of slight volume mis-calculations.
    I had my Shiva in the larger "recommended" vented box, but it sounded boomy [​IMG]. I cut off about 1/3 of my box (making it the "recommended" sealed volume), put on a new sealed baffle and am much happier with the result. Bass is lower and tighter. SEALED, BABY! YEAH!!!!!

P.S. -- I don't remember the sizes, but they are on the Shiva's PDF FAQ.

11. David Giesbrecht

The vented alingment will have better power handling and effiency but only down to the tuning point below the tunning its output and sensitivity is reduced and driver excursion goes wild and as far as subsonic filtering goes, I have just one question... why?

I wouldnt worry about bottoming it out I don't know what a shiva or DPL 12 is like but I just got a QSC RMX 1450 amp for my dual low Q sealed Tempest tubes and I can listen to Bass Mekanik until the amp clips and I still have not bottomed them out I even tried bridged mono mode 700 watts per sub and their still almost impossible to bottom.

P.S. Remember we have this wonderful thing called room gain witch alows a sealed sub to play much lower than predicted, my sealed Tempests are only 1 dB down at 20 HZ in room. Vented subs will sound boomy in most rooms.
    Sealed just makes more sense to me.

good luck

12. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

settled...a sealed 54l it will be!

13. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Just for grins I'm going to present an alternative. Put the Shiva into the end of a 6 foot 14" Sonotube, downfiring with 4" legs, stuff with 6 lbs of polyfil, and leave the end open. It's tall but has a small footprint and sounds great!

14. Mika-H

Mika-H Stunt Coordinator

15. TimForman

16. Ben Ven

Ben Ven Stunt Coordinator

You should have the seen the look on her face when I brought up a 12' pipe!
    I have tried sealed, vented and TL with the Shiva. By far, the TL is the best alignment IMHO. My current set up is a line 112" long. Polyfil only on the walls of the chamber behind the Shiva. Line area tapers down, from 150 in^2, to Sd of the Shiva, which is 75 in^2.

17. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

18. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

quick question for the sealed shiva...where exactly does the 16oz of polyfill get put at? do I just stuff it in anywhere or do I attach it to the walls?

19. Russell R

Russell R Stunt Coordinator

I am interested in the shiva in an open 14" 6 footer. I have a 14.375"id by 58" tall stick of heavy PVC and am thinking about the 142.5l EBS alignment. The wife does not car what it looks like as this is in my dedicated media/theater room. Are there any other ideas with this stick of PVC? I also have a 8"id by 100" that may get some use in the near future. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Roderplex

20. TimForman

Here is the basic design. I modified mine so the Shiva is mounted directly in the end of the tube (with a small MDF support ring) and downfiring with 4" legs. You can follow Nick's recommendations for stuffing or play around with different amounts until it sounds good to you.