Shiva replacement

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack*Mains, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Well... I think I finally killed my Shiva.
    I knew this would happen someday, because I put it through some pretty rough LFE tracks [​IMG]

There is a rip in the yellow surround stuff underneath the cone, Im not sure what the proper term is. But it attaches to the cone just above the voice coil.

The sub still works fine, but it makes a rattling noise whenever it is playing caused by the rip.

Here's the question. I could go and buy another shiva and just drop it in, but is there anything that would give me more ouput? Im using the EBS alignment with a 300W plate amp (AVA250), and I don't quite have the resources to go ahead with a major upgrade; I would like to keep everything except the driver.

So do I have any alternatives, or should I just get another shiva?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

You can probably just get it reconed for fairly cheap. The yellow part is the spider by the way and It probably broke from over ecursion.

3. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Go with an Atlas 12. They are a little tougher than the Shiva and model as nice replacments. XBL2 motors to boot!

Ascendant Audio

4. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Get a recone from Orange County Speaker, or buy a Dayton 12DVC or a surplus Stryke 1204 driver from Acoustic Visions (both are close enough for a direct drop-in replacement.) If you can find one, the old JBL GT120 has almost the same specs as the Shiva.
    JP

5. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

Dennis, I thought the atlas was all gone. I could be wrong however. if you have the patience to wait until this Christmas (I think that's when it's coming out)to get a good subwoofer, I would get the new 12' shiva coming out. Or you could get the cone refurbished.

6. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Keith,

Sorry that I hadn't kept up with the brisk sales of the Altas drivers after the price drop. I see that Chad had around a dozen left at the first of this month, and I am sure those are gone by now.

On that note, I would recone or ebay one cheap, then buy a new model 6 months from now when they come out.

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

I have 3 new-in-box Shiva's I'll sell for $75 ea + shipping, if you're interested

8. Jack*Mains

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will wait for either the new Shivas or the Atlas 12s to be in stock. I don't really want to drop in another Shiva, since I've been itching to upgrade anyway.

In the meanwhile, I have carefully superglued the spyder in the places that it ripped, and so far it has worked great. Not sure how long before the superglue fails, but for now I will just take it easy.

For future reference though, is the Atlas 12 about the best I can do with 300W and the EBS alighment?

9. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

I siliconed a ripped foam surround about 4 years ago and its been working great ever since. YMMV but I would just start saving up for a new shiva and build a new box. Or if budget permits something even better like the new tumult 12".

10. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

Dennis, I actually found out they are not out of stock. I must have been thinking about something else.

11. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

Jack,
    If Keith is refering to the Atlas 12's being availible still you should jump on it. I have a 12" and 2 15" atlas subs and they are great! I built a 15" one in the 24" cube recommended by Chad at ascendant and it is awesome. I love it. This one is for my gf's brother-in-law so it will be leaving soon. I still have both mine to build. Until then I will be listening to the 12"er.
    If you hold out til the new adire or ascendants are availible you may want to upgrade to a 15". I don't remember how big a EBS shiva enclosure is (142L?) 5cu.ft. you may be able to get a 15" in there. The ascendant enclosure was 6cu.ft. with 2 4" full length precision ports. Going to a 15 will definately get you more output. I don't know how low you can tune it in your present enclosure though.Worth looking into at least[​IMG]

12. Jack*Mains

I was actually thinking of selling everything if I can get a buyer. I can probably get $500CAD locally for it, providing the superglue holds out. And I think it will.

EDIT: Thats $500 for the Shiva, AVA250 Plate amp, and box. Finished in red oak veneer.