What's new

Shiva... redux (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm going tonight to get the MDF and plywood for my new and improved Shiva enclosure (I sold my old 101.5L).

Here is my plan:

It's an 85L sealed enclosure that stands about 3' tall and 16" square.. downfiring. The top is going to be oak and the body a matte black. This look will match my current coffee/drink table and I plan to build a future entertainment center to tie it all in:

I'm excited... just had to vent.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Bet you guys thought I'd never get it done, eh?

Well, here it is in its new home (the picture is a little washed out.. cheap 35mm camera flash!):

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/skipjack3001/shiva1.jpg

Here is a picture of the 130 Watt ApexJr amp mounted on the back.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/skipjack3001/shiva2.jpg

And finally, here it is in relation to the drink table it was modeled after (the top lifts off for storing games and unused remotes :) ):

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/skipjack3001/shiva3.jpg

The top is birch plywood stained with english oak stain and coated with 3 coats of satin polyurethane. The body is MDF, with clear pine slats tacked on the outside to resemble the panelled construction of the drink table. Everything is glued to avoid rattles. The body is then covered with 2 coats of PVA primer and 3 coats of satin black paint.

This is my first downfiring sub and I really like it. I have to calibrate it yet, but it really fills the room. I was worried that in its small corner, I would have some wierd nodes.. but so far that hasn't been the case.

Now, I just need ideas on what to set on top of it. :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
how long before the entertainment center is done?
:) Well, I might float that prospect past the wife.. the shiva really was a little more complicated than it looks. With my limited tools and workspace, it took me a while to figure out how to get it together. (and thank God for wood filler :b ).

An entertainment center might go together a little easier... however, the scale of the project will bring down the SAF as it'll probably take up at least half of the garage space to get it together. :)

Or, maybe I'll commission my dad to build it.. he's the one who came up with the drink table in the first place. :)

Thanks for all your comments.

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice! How dead is it? If you put a vase on top of it would it rattle and fall off?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
If you put a vase on top of it would it rattle and fall off?
Actually, it's not too bad. The top is 3/4" MDF with a 3/4" piece of plywood glued and screwed together. And, I'm not really a "reference level" guy (that often) so, setting something breakable on top isn't a big concern. The box isn't braced anywhere. I didn't think it necessary with its small footprint. I stuffed the top 60% with fiberglass insulation and supported it with a piece of aluminum window screen stapled in place.

I'll probably wind up putting a lava lamp up there.. or maybe one of those "Now Playing" DVD displays.

Perhaps, just to be safe, I'll have a bronze bust of myself made up to sit up there. :)

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dave,
Your old 101.5 is being put to good use with a shiva powered by the tried and true PE 250 heavily stuffed. I see your replacement project is rolling along just fine. Nice work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks