Shiva question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Benjamin_M, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Benjamin_M

Benjamin_M Extra

I am in the process of building a dedicated home theater right now. The room is about 10'x17'x7'. The TV is on the 10' wall. The problem that I have is that I do not have enough room the adequately place a pair of front speaker on the sides of a the TV and still have room to put subs in the corners. I am building two shiva sealed enclosures (down firing). The question that I have is: Can the sub enclosures be mounted in the front upper left and right corners of the room? The enclosures would be mounted so that the drivers fire toward the ceiling. This would be to save floor space and still keep the subs corner loaded. I know that special consideration is needed when designing down firing subs to account for gravity effect on the driver. But what about upwards firing driver?

2. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

What kind of room are you putting this in? If possible, you might consider trying an IB sub arrangement.

RG

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

My Tempests work fine firing up at the ceiling.

Pete

4. Benjamin_M

Benjamin_M Extra

The room is a finished basement. I had already thought of an IB setup but there is no suitable area for it. No empty attic above:-( The IB would be ideal but it is not going to work with the room.

Another idea I had was to mount the sub enclosures right side up in the upper corners. With the drivers firing down but I would install a plate below the driver so it would be like it was sitting on the floor.

Am I compromising the sound by considering this sub location? It seems to me that it would not matter if you put your sub in the upper or lower corner of the room.

5. Benjamin_M

Benjamin_M Extra

Pete are your tempests firing forward, down, or up?

6. Pete Mazz

Up.
    It's actually mounted to the wall, behind the RPTV. This is an old pic, but it's basically the same.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pete

7. Benjamin_M

Benjamin_M Extra

Pete,

That is a really cool setup for your sub. I haven't seen to many people mounting subs near the ceiling. Makes sence when dealing with restricted floor space. I am assuming those are shiva subs since your mains look like Kit281s from adire. Is that right?

8. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

There is no physical reason I can think of that you would need to put a plate under the drivers. Unless you are just wanting something for aesthetics.

Is there any reason in particular that you are building two seperate enclosures instead of one larger one? I kinda like Pete's idea.

Or, have you thought of maybe using the two subs as stands for your mains since space is such a tight issue? If they are built solidly enough, it shouldn't be a problem.

RG

9. Pete Mazz

Tempests. 16 cu ft .6Q sealed.

Pete

10. Benjamin_M

Benjamin_M Extra

I was looking at building two smaller enclosures for aestetic reasons. As I am looking at the front wall of the theater I would rather see two smaller symetrical sub enclosures hanging in the upper corners than one large one.

Using the subs as speaker stands could work but I thought If I could mount them up and out of the way then I wouldn't have to deal with them at all.

I do like the way that Pete mounted the sub box above the TV. I hadn't thought of one large sub in that position. I guess I was tring to keep the subs corner loaded since that is what is normaly done.

Say Pete, how do you like your kit281's (I am guessing that is what your mains are). They are at the top of my list of possible speaker choices so far.

11. Pete Mazz

The Kit 281s are really impressive. For the money, they may be the best bargain high end kit out there . I'm currently building new mains, but more of a "next level" kind of project. It'll be hard to beat the 281s for imaging, so I'll wait and see (hear) how it turns out.

Pete

12. Benjamin_M

Benjamin_M Extra

They do look pretty impressive for the $180 a piece. Every one who has them seems to speak highly of them. I am just nervous about purchasing speaker that I have never heard...
    I am considering building 6 identical sealed kit281s. This would be in conjunction with the two shivas handling the lows.

13. Pete Mazz

I guess it depends what you're used to. They are very detailed, sometimes to a fault, but that has more to do with what you're listening to. I have some CDs that are recorded on the "crispy" side, and in my room it can be irritating at higher volume levels. On everything else, tho, they sound incredible. They are very dynamic, forward sounding, which is perfect, I think for HT. Dan has a mod for the high end to attenuate it a tad more, and he sent them to me, but I never pulled them apart to try it. Maybe after the new mains get finished I'll do it for a test listen. Five 281s would make an incredible HT setup, IMO.

Pete

14. Benjamin_M

Benjamin_M Extra

Thanks for the info on the 281's Pete! Did you order your 281s through the adire website or somewhere else?

15. Pete Mazz

I ordered them thru Adire, back when there were no other distributors. You may be able to save some shipping $$$ at this point, but not sure.

I also have 4 Kit 81s that I was going to use for surrounds, but never built them, other than a single for a center channel.

Pete