Shiva or Tempest sonotube?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Jan 3, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I was almost sure I was going to use a shiva due to wanting a small footprint but now I'm hearing things about the tempest just killing anything else in it's way that has a 12" diameter. Can anyone help me decide? What would be the differences between the shiva and tempest sonotube as far as performance is concerned? Figure tuning to be around 16-18Hz. Height is not an issue but footprint is kind of important. What are the options?

Thanks!

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well I'm sure you know my opinion :p)

You might be able to get 14" sonotube to work with a Shiva, 16" for sure. I know you can use 18" with a Tempest. Although, if you mounted the legs to the side of the tube like I think Mike Knapp did you might be able to use 16". 16" would be hard to get a large volume out of though.

I've never heard a Shiva, but I think the only big differences are the Tempest's Vd is a litre more than the Shiva and the Tempest costs and extra $15-$20. Sound wise I would think similar allignments (not identical enclosures but what constitutes a particular allignment for each driver) would sound almost the same, just the Tempest will go louder and a little lower.

If you can swing 18" sonotube I personally wouldn't hesitate on taking a Tempest over a Shiva.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Tempest.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've built subs using the shiva and tempest and I see no reason to use a shiva if you can help it. If you can go Tempest or the 15" DVC from Parts Express it is essentially the same driver but can go in a slightly smaller box

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer