What's new

Shiva or ISD for my 4Runner? (1 Viewer)

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I need some sub help for my 4Runner. I was thinking about two Shivas or ISDs from SVS. I am going to e-mail Erik at SVS to even see if I can buy one (I have already purchased a PCi). What do you guys think about these two? I think the Shiva can handle more power (600 max), but I'm more concerned about SQ and the ability to go low. They will be part of a full 5.1 DD system (SoundStream D'artagnan or DaVinci amplifier). Let me know what you guys think! Gotta buy one of them soon!

Jack_P

Grip
Shivas have been used with good results in the car audio world, where low end is augmented by cabin gain. Put a shiva in a 1.3-1.7 cube box (I had mine in about 1.5). You only really need about 300-400 watts, the driver is very efficient.
Oh and one more thing, Brahma:D

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Chris, My name is Chris too and I have a 94 4runner and would like to ask a few questions on your audio system?
I also have soundstream amplification lol
Anyways, My front speakers are size 4T with vented plastic boxes and when I replaced them with aftermarkets I got a considerable midrange hump that made vocals sound horrible during certain songs. What I ended up doing was plugging the port with bondo and stuffing the speaker with polyfil to solve it. After that the speakers are pointing straight to the ground so the tweeter inside is basically aiming at the floor. Do you have separate tweeters?
The rear speakers are vented plastic boxes as well, also self amplified. I gutted out the amps and resealed the box around some new speakers I had to modify the box a bit. How did you replace your rear speakers?
I don't like how my antennae has to go up every time I turn on the receiver, even for just a CD. Does yours?
Well back to topic, I think a shiva would be fine but a tempest would be better. :) I'm trying to design a box for my car and if I wanted some decent SQ I'd just make a small sealed box and be happy. An amp even 200 watts is plenty for a single tempest IMO.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris! Damn, we are alike! :)
I am signing the papers on it Monday, a shiny, black 2002 4Runner Sport Edition. I have seen the 2003s with the redesign, and I didn't care much for them so I stuck with the 2002. I like the look they have had for a long time. Man, this waiting is about to kill me, I way excited about getting it! I'll post some pictures here as soon as I can.
I didn't play with the radio much. I know it's the "Premium" one with 6 speakers. I'll end up yanking all them out anyways. And a single Tempest does sound tempting...

Jack_P

Grip
If you are going with a tempest 4 cubes tuned to 24, is considered the tempest box by Dan Wiggings and others for car.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Currently, I have the original SVS driver in a sealed 0.75 cu.ft enclosure in the extended cab of my pickup truck. I wish that I could have more room for a larger enclosure, but I need the rest for work and personal/emergency items. It provides bass, but it's not very low...tuned to mid to upper 40's using computer software. Great deal still for US$50. I may upgrade it to a Stryke AV-12 in the very near future. ;)
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks