What's new

Shiva in car, Tempest in home theater? Or the other way around? (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry if this is inappropriate for this forum, but I tried asking this at car audio forums and find the help much better here :) I thought it might be acceptable to ask here since many of you are familiar with Adire subs.

Alright, my Tempest sub in the car is too big (5.25 cubes), so I can either buy a shiva for $169 CANADIAN (lowest price in Canada ever!) for the car and put my Tempest back in my room for home theater, or build a smaller sealed box for Tempest in the car and build a shiva for my room later (leaving me with an extra box).

One way or another, I need a sub for the car and a sub for my room. Question is, which goes where?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Andrew

P.S. I thought about buying another Tempest instead of a shiva... but here in Canada the Shiva's are way lower than the Tempests (169 compared to 240)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I have a tempest in my car which is in a 3.5CF box tuned to 24hz. It's pretty good sounding and I like it a lot with the more pop/rock/hip hop music I play.

The tempests in my HT are 214L adire alignment boxes so they are considerably larger and tuned to a low 15.4hz. This is suitable for the types of music I enjoy in a quieter environment such as jazz, folk, or classical. It even sounds great with movies because of the accuracy.

If I had a choice again I would probably use a sealed shiva for the car and save space. I could really feel the weight the sub added to my 4runner. I also tried an adire alignment in my car which was great, but again took up almost my entire trunk. With cabin gain and my 1 farad cap + 200watts, lets just say a tempest is still a bit overkill for a car. I could easily get bass hits that exceed 120db on an SPL meter. I just listen at lower volumes so I don't really need the headroom.

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
I've been researching and I think I'll probably end up buying a Shiva and building a 2.5 CF box tuned to 30hz for the car (I understand that the tuning leans more toward SPL than SQ, but I'm 16:) ) I figure this way I'll have fairly good output and I can always upgrade to a second identical box if I feel I want more output in my big 'ol buick. Would still be smaller (little bit) than the 5.25CF and be easier to manage and place.
Thanks for the reply.
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks