What's new

Shiva in a thre way speaker? (1 Viewer)

I am curious if anyone has ever used the Shiva in a three way front speaker. It seems that they would be ideal if you prefer to run your speakers in the large setting with the sub for the LFE and rears only.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In a 2 ft^3 box, you could get down to 30Hz easily, but there are a few problems:
1. Porting might be a problem (if you care about port noise) because you'd need around 13.3" of 4" wide port (15m/s at 30Hz), or 6.8" of 3" wide port (25m/s at 30Hz). This is assuming 50W into each voice coil, which leads to problem #2.
2. Using a Shiva, it's best to use it as a 4 ohm load to max out the output, but this would be problematic if you are designing for an overall 8 ohm load for the speaker. The port noise may not be a problem if only 1 voice coil is hooked to the woofer crossover network, but the output will be lowered by 3dB.
3. This would mean padding down the midrange and/tweeter depending on their sensitivities.
If you depended to use the Shiva as a 4 ohm load (hook up both voice coils in parallel) you'd have to make sure your receiver's amp section could handle the load.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've not read of projects using Shiva in that capacity, but I'll bet it would work well. According to the white paper, the primary breakup mode is at 780Hz. They recommend a cutoff of 450Hz if used with a 4th order crossover (keeping this breakup @ -20db). If using a lower order filter, an appropriately lower point should be used. I believe GregM recommends keeping the breakup modes even lower, like -24db.
But you've still got to deal with the practical considerations Pat enumerated.
------------------

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Well those goofy KLONE-Audio guys :) are working an a new little project using Shiva's in a Mirage OM-7 ala Siegfried Linkwitz's "Phoenix" design.
So that means dual Eton 8" drivers and a Focal TC120Txoid tweeter in a open-air MTM design top module. This will sit on a dipole config bass bin with dual Shiva's. There will be some resistive loading (aka damping material) behind the top module, and possibly some behind the Shiva's.
XO point 150-200Hz for the Shiva.
We'll have a operational prototype for testing by the end of April. There will be updates posted to the website as usual.
BTW for practical considerations I wouldn't recommend running a Shiva higher than 350Hz.
Here's a pic of a highend 3-way using a Shiva
BB2-sm.jpg

I have no info about it, here's the URL to the webpage where the pic is located
http://www.dpaton.net/audio/shiva/gallery/sho.shtml
Enjoy
Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks