1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Shiva in a 85L vented cabinet with 130 watts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Payne, Jul 1, 2001.

1. Max Payne

Max Payne Agent

Would a Shiva in a 85 liter vented cabinet tuned to about 22Hz with 130 watts rms into 4 ohms.
    Would that sound good for home theater and would it be able to produce SPL from 90dB from 20Hz and up ?
    The amps will either be the Apex jr. plate amp or the Parts Express $99 plate amp with the 5dB bass boost at 35Hz.
    Please help i'm verry new to this stuff.
    My friend has built a shiva sub before but he wont tell me how he did it.
    Thanks

2. Paul_H

Paul_H Extra

For home theater I would suggest an EBS alignment. In the world of bass there is no free lunch; hoffman's iron law says there is a tradeoff for efficiency, box size, and extension. This alignment will start to roll off at a lower frequency and be safer for movie tracks with a lot of subsonic bass. In a vented enclosure below tuning frequency excursion increases very rapidly. Adire audio offers an excellent guide in application section and LspCAD loaded with their drivers if you want to play around with the enclosures. Remember to follow their guidlines for port diameter. I would go with the Apex Jr. amp it will play loudly with a shiva and has low and high level inputs. The bass boost in the other amp is a little bit high to be any help and can cause your subwoofer to sound boomy.
    Paul Hagan
    [email protected]

3. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush Stunt Coordinator

quote: My friend has built a shiva sub before but he wont tell me how he did it.[/quote]
    And you still call him a "friend" ?
    With friends like these, who needs enemies ?
    I think you should seriously revaluate your friendship relations with this guy...

4. Max Payne

Max Payne Agent

Ya the guy is a homo.
    He is scared that my sub might sound better.

5. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

I didn't know that sexual orientation had anything to do with the ability to make (or not) good subwoofers?
    I find your use of the term "homo" as a derogatory reference to be rather offensive. Please be more wary with your language on this board, this happens to be one of the few boards I have frequented where such offensiveness doesn't occur.