What's new

Shiva in a 85L vented cabinet with 130 watts (1 Viewer)

Max Payne

Agent
Would a Shiva in a 85 liter vented cabinet tuned to about 22Hz with 130 watts rms into 4 ohms.
Would that sound good for home theater and would it be able to produce SPL from 90dB from 20Hz and up ?
The amps will either be the Apex jr. plate amp or the Parts Express $99 plate amp with the 5dB bass boost at 35Hz.
Please help i'm verry new to this stuff.
My friend has built a shiva sub before but he wont tell me how he did it.
Thanks

Paul_H

Grip
For home theater I would suggest an EBS alignment. In the world of bass there is no free lunch; hoffman's iron law says there is a tradeoff for efficiency, box size, and extension. This alignment will start to roll off at a lower frequency and be safer for movie tracks with a lot of subsonic bass. In a vented enclosure below tuning frequency excursion increases very rapidly. Adire audio offers an excellent guide in application section and LspCAD loaded with their drivers if you want to play around with the enclosures. Remember to follow their guidlines for port diameter. I would go with the Apex Jr. amp it will play loudly with a shiva and has low and high level inputs. The bass boost in the other amp is a little bit high to be any help and can cause your subwoofer to sound boomy.
Paul Hagan
[email protected]

Jones_Rush

Stunt Coordinator
quote: My friend has built a shiva sub before but he wont tell me how he did it.[/quote]
And you still call him a "friend" ?
With friends like these, who needs enemies ?
I think you should seriously revaluate your friendship relations with this guy...

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't know that sexual orientation had anything to do with the ability to make (or not) good subwoofers?
I find your use of the term "homo" as a derogatory reference to be rather offensive. Please be more wary with your language on this board, this happens to be one of the few boards I have frequented where such offensiveness doesn't occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks