Shiva finaly up and running.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Lee Carbray, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

First off, thanks. Most of the knowledge I needed to build this came from lurking around here.

Well, after six months of having the driver and the amp it finally came together last night. It took a long time for a couple of reasons. The cold winter, I had to wait forever to cut the wood. And my new son, as any new parent can confirm it takes up a lot of your free time.

The sub is made to spec from Adire's EBS design. It was my first DIY speaker and first wood working experience as well so I wanted to keep it simple. The only mod I made was to mount the PE amp on the back. I was able to squeeze all the panels out of one 4x8 sheet of 3/4 MDF. I do not have any clamps so to keep costs down I decided to use screws. I made sure to take my time and it turned very solid. BTW no screws were used on the braces because they fit so snugly. Right now it is still bare MDF, I have some nice real wood paper backed walnut veneer to put on. For the legs I have used some 2x2x3.5 bocote blocks. I will try and get some pics this weekend if I have time.

I have not had a chance to play around to much with phase and I just quickly set the level before playing some movies and music. I love it. It rocks the house. But......

I have a question about the frequency response. I did a sweep with Avia and it seemed to roll off really early. Like around 35Hz. This was at listening position and with a rs meter. Now I know this was not very accurate and I plan on doing some plots with individual tones but would there be any reason why this may happen? My room is 25x14x8.

Thanks again guys.

2. Mel Silva

Mel Silva Agent

Congratulations Lee!

This is my first time back on the list in about 6 months. I came back to post that I had just finished my Shiva EBS subwoofer and the results are phenominal. The whole process of my buildup is posted here Make sure you get all the way to page 3.

As for your question, which amp are you using? I'm using the PE #300-794 plate amp. I modified it match the Q of the box using the instructions that came from Parts Express. I now have 1dB of boost at 20-24Hz and according to the room measurements I did before I started this was the range to boost in.

Congratulations on your baby boy. My daughter is scheduled to arrive (by C-section) this Tuesday.

Mel

3. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

yes, congrats on the babies, i just had a little (10lb) boy a couple weeks ago and i think the g/f wished she had a c-section.. hehe..