1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Shiva cutout???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by darren_s, Dec 28, 2003.

1. darren_s

darren_s Agent

Just about finished with Ebs shiva sub only cuts left are recess around 11' cutout. I am having trouble finding a rabbet bit the correct size, so I decided to get one thats 1/4 radius and make 2 passes to get 1/2, is this the correct size 1/2 for shiva recess?? and how deep?? 3/8??

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Whoa, you can't do that. Where is the bearing going to ride on the second pass ?

Instead, cut a circle the shiva's outer diameter (I presume 11 inches) only as deep as the flange. Move the jig to 10 and 7/8 and cut again to the same depth. Move the jig to 10 3/4 and cut the same depth then again at 10 5/8. Finally, cut all the way through at 10 1/2. You will have an inner through hole at 10, a 1/2 inch rebate and an outer circle at 11. If your baffel is in 2 layers that have not yet been laminated, there is another option- Cut one layer through at 10 inches and the other at 11, then glue together. To do this, it is necessary to temporarly screw the layers together and drill the pilot hole through both. Then, the original screw holes realign the circles perfectly.

3. darren_s

darren_s Agent

Thanks for reply, I allready have 11" hole cutout, the Shiva is 12.25 total diameter, I have a jig so I guess I really dont even need rabbet bit, I can use my 1/4 upcut to get same results, I have 11' cutout screwed to board under sub bottom plate that I use to connect jig to center point, anyways I dont have the shiva yet and am not sure if 1/2 recess will be enough?? and depth?? what is correct depth??

4. DaveKahler

DaveKahler Stunt Coordinator

To flush mount the shiva, cut a recess that is 3/4" deep.

5. darren_s

darren_s Agent

3/4 depth?? do you mean Radius? Can anyone tell me if they have lined the walls of there EBS with poly batting sheets?? or leave it

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

The thickness of the frame and gasket is right at 3/4". So the depth of the recess needs to be 3/4". So your baffle needs to be 1.5" thick in order to recess the driver.

7. darren_s

darren_s Agent

Thanks Brian, I am using 3/4 MDF ?? I cant flush mount without adding another layer??

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

If you are using 3/4" for the baffle with the driver surface mounted, it takes another 3/4" thick piece to completely flush the driver. At least that's the way it is with the DVC 12's, which I belive have the exact same basket and cork gasket as the Shiva. I've used both and never noticed them looking any different.

9. Rich-R

Rich-R Extra

Brian, what to you use to mount downfiring subs? Drywall screws? I am getting ready to do an ebs av12, downfiring. Thanks, rich

10. darren_s

darren_s Agent

Rich-R This is my first DIY sub but I do know that it is better to use the Tnuts if you use drywall screws they will hold just fine but if you take your driver out more than a couple times the holes from screws will weakin, good luck

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I hate T-nuts. I use the coarse thread panhead screws that PE sells. Drywall screws would work too. If I want something with more holding power, like when I build Tumults, I use threaded inserts.

12. DaveKahler

DaveKahler Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the coarse thread pan head screws from parts express. They are THE BEST screw for MDF, period.

13. darren_s

darren_s Agent

Brian, After geting the EBS all together It is looking like the 4" port will be very close to Amp if not hitting it, have you built a EBS with Amp in rear??

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

No, I haven't built an EBS alignment sub with the Shiva. If the port is so long that the port is that close to the amp then you've definitely got a problem.