Shiva/AVA250 Sub Cabinet Help Needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don McKinnon, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Don McKinnon

Don McKinnon Auditioning

Hi there. I'm new to this forum and DIY speakers but thought that I would try building my own subwoofer. I have all the tools and have made furniture in the past, although I have no electronics experience.

After spending a bit of time reviewing various driver/amps I have settled on the Shiva/AVA250 amp. Part of the reason is that we have a distributor here in Canada.

The sub will be for largely music and due to space limitations and the size of the room, I plan on buidling the sealed 54L alignment as present on the Adire website.

The plans for the alignment do not show a cutout for the amp. By building the amp into the sub enclosure I will be displacing some of the internal volume plus would largely have to cut out the back brace. Should I be concerned about this? Is there a need to make the enclosure bigger to compensate for the loss of volume from the amp? If so, by how much? How much would the AVA250 extend into the enclosure from the inside panel?

Any input would be much appreciated by this DIY newbie!

Don

2. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I emailed Dan Wiggins at Adire the same question. He basically stated that the displacement of the amp was negligible. It was only a few liters if any. Getting exact internal volume isn't critical on sealed designs anyway. Keep us posted on your progress.

3. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

KyleGS is correct about the amp displacement being negligible. Also you don't have to cut out a lot of the back brace if you measure properly. Here is a photo of my 122L sealed tempests back brace cutout.
    [​IMG]
    I actually didn't have to cut out as much as I did, but the transformer would have almost been touching the brace. So I cut out enough for it to have some breathing room.
    More pictures can been seen here.
    Hope this helps...
    Ronnie