Shiva as a replacement woofer in a 3-way?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darryl_St, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Darryl_St

Darryl_St Extra

Hi
    I was listening to AOTC and noticed a breeze coming from one of my 3-way DIY sealed 66L speakers. I had blown out about 5 inches of the foam surround on the 12" Peerless woofer. [​IMG]
    Now I've got to get some replacements or build some new speakers.
    Would the Shiva be ok in a 3-way design ( x-over around 500 hz ) as I haven't seen any freq response or impedance charts.
    I have lately been looking at maybe building two Tempest subs and new mains, center, and surrounds ( 2 side, 2 rear )
    Any help or suggestions welcome,
    Thanks
    Darryl

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm not saying you can't cross at 500Hz with a Shiva, but I do recall seeing a 3-way design with Shiva as the woofer, but it was crossed around 300Hz.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Looking at the freq response on the Shiva WHITE PAPER, it looks like it'll cover 500 Hz okay... if you have a pretty steep slope on that crossover (looks a little shaky over 700Hz). Do you know what order it is?
    As for the box, 66L just about the right size for a maximally flat Shiva box based on Adire's T/S parameters.
    You could always plug 'em in and see how you like 'em... if you don't, build a new X-over or a whole new box since you would have done that anyway.
    Good luck.

4. Nathan_M

Nathan_M Extra

Darryl, Any reason you can't just replace the surround? I watched a friend of mine recently replace a blown surround and it seemed like a pretty simple process and the speaker sounded fine when he finished.

5. Darryl_St

Darryl_St Extra

Thanks for the various tips, I'll probably repair / replace the suround for now and start on designing some replacement speakers, a couple of Tempest subs and DIY mains, sides / rears.

Would the Shiva or Tempest in a vented box play as loud as these Peerless (93 db/W)I have in a sealed box, I have a Kenwood M1 2-channel amp rated at 220W/8 ohm/6db headroom.

Anyone have any links to some 8 ohm ( or 6 )DIY Mains, Dipole sides and Direct rears that have had good response? I've seen some 4 ohm kits but I have a Denon 2802 thats rated to 6~16.

Maybe I need to start a new thread,:b

Thanks
    Darryl

6. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

>Looking at the freq response on the Shiva WHITE PAPER, it looks like it'll cover 500 Hz okay... if you have a pretty steep slope on that crossover (looks a little shaky over 700Hz).
    ====
    Looking at a FR doesn't tell you how it will sound. When they first came out I had high hopes to XO pairs of them at 500Hz/4th order, but alas their tonality left too much to be desired above ~250Hz IMO. This is all highly subjective though, so you'll just have to try them out and let us know what you think.

GM