What's new

Shirley Temple Passed Away at 85! (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just took a look again at her airplane song .. which is of course 'On the Good Ship Lollipop', so infectious as she bounces along the aisle. What a star she was. And 'The Little Princess' still stands up well, with Richard Greene, our favourite Robin Hood, as her dad....and of course, with the miracle of Technicolor!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I know everyone loves the "child" but my favorite performance/role of hers is still THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER. It's funny but I'm getting ready to move and on Sunday I found a 2-disc collection of Temple shorts that I thought I had lost. I guess it's a good time to give them a spin.

As with The Tramp, I think most or a lot of people know Temple even if they've never seen her movies. I work in an office with a lot of young people and it seems that most had at least heard of her.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Radioman970 said:
I wonder if her show ST's Storybook will ever get a complete release. don't read as "boring", but I find those a pleasant way to nod off to sleep. It's like being 4 years old and being told a nice story as you fall asleep.

I'd planed to pick up the current release, but I'm wondering if more stuff will come out since she is gone..
They're some (not all) surprisingly good kid-friendly adaptations, for the younger set who's already finished Shelley Duvall's fairytales.
At the time her show made them, don't think we'd seen American versions of Pippi Longstocking, Madeline, House of Seven Gables or even Winnie the Pooh. (There was an early British version, but Shirley beat Walt by a good few years.)

I wasn't a fan-fan of her movies, except for "The Blue Bird", which I remembered faithfully as a kid.
Didn't see too many of the others, until the local stations ran "Heidi" over Christmas. (And then I realized where TBB was borrowing most of their "Mansion chaos" scenes from.)
Always thought the marketed 30's cuteness was a little condescending, but she was a child-star pro back when such things barely existed.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
In addition to her natural charm and incredible camera sense, Shirley was also a terrific dancer.Her trio with Alice Faye and Jack Haley in Poor Little Rich Girl is fantastic.And of course, her duets with Bojangles were pure magic.TCM will be hosting a tribute Sunday March 9th - eight films.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Kind of sad how many times I've seen "I didn't know she was still alive!" said online, or overheard in conversations today. And even sadder how many were unaware of her older movie roles.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
she was a saturday late afternoon staple for our family.

i think my favorite movie (at least when i was a kid) - she was searching for a man, possibly her father.

and they are both in a hospital at one point. and i think the man passes by while shirley is turned around.

anyways, it was a pretty emotional movie for me, at the time.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
jimmyjet said:
she was a saturday late afternoon staple for our family.

i think my favorite movie (at least when i was a kid) - she was searching for a man, possibly her father.

and they are both in a hospital at one point. and i think the man passes by while shirley is turned around.

anyways, it was a pretty emotional movie for me, at the time.
That's "The Little Princess" -- one of her best.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Michael Elliott said:
As with The Tramp, I think most or a lot of people know Temple even if they've never seen her movies. I work in an office with a lot of young people and it seems that most had at least heard of her.
They probably remember her from childhood. . .as a drink!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i havent seen the movies since i was a little boy.

but i still recall lots of little tidbits.

i already mentioned the scene about "her father ?".

another important type of scene that just came up was in a movie where there was a war going on between a western country and a country from the middle east or africa ?

they wore completely different type of clothing than what we would think of as military attire.

anyways, shirley gets to talk to both leaders personally, although not at the same time.

and of course, she likes both men, and tries her best to get them to come to terms so a bunch of soldiers dont get killed.

i dont recall the outcome, but something tells me that she was not successful.

of course there are all sorts of cute dancing scenes. but the ones that hang closest to me are the more serious scenes.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
My 2 favorite movies: The Little Princess and The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer. Man she was a knock-out as a teenager. A while ago I was thinking of writing her for an autograph but people had said that she didn't do autographs because of so many people putting them on ebay. It's so very sad when an actor from the golden age of Hollywood passes away, not many left now.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ejanss said:
They're some (not all) surprisingly good kid-friendly adaptations, for the younger set who's already finished Shelley Duvall's fairytales.
At the time her show made them, don't think we'd seen American versions of Pippi Longstocking, Madeline, House of Seven Gables or even Winnie the Pooh. (There was an early British version, but Shirley beat Walt by a good few years.)
That's interesting, I didn't even think of that. I have the Madeline episode on a DVD with The Princess & the Goblins I got from Big Lots. I had little idea what it was at the time although I might have watched it at 2 or 3. After Madeline, which was very entertaining, I just loved the stage play feel of the production, I wanted to be sure I got as many of those as available but held off from the incomplete sets. (btw, I sometimes call my dog Kayla "Madeline" because of that Shirley Temple episode, since she looks like her sometimes, that's one of her many names along with K-Girl the Discount Dog, Short Round (from an Indy movie) and AK 47.).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
TCM remembers Shirley Temple on March 9, 2014.
4:30 PM Heidi (1937) An orphaned girl tends goats for her grandfather until she's sold to serve as a disabled girl's companion.
Dir: Allan Dwan Cast: Shirley Temple , Jean Hersholt , Arthur Treacher .
BW-88 mins, CC,
6:15 PM Stowaway (1936) Dir: William A. Seiter Cast: Shirley Temple , Robert Young , Alice Faye .
BW-87 mins,
8:00 PM Bright Eyes (1934) Society snobs get more than they bargained for when they take in their late housekeeper's orphaned daughter.
Dir: David Butler Cast: Shirley Temple , James Dunn , Jane Darwell .
BW-85 mins, CC,
9:30 PM Little Princess, The (1939) When her father is reported dead in war, his daughter fights harsh conditions at her boarding school.
Dir: Walter Lang Cast: Shirley Temple , Richard Greene , Anita Louise .
C-93 mins, CC,
11:15 PM I'll Be Seeing You (1944) A soldier meets a woman on Christmas furlough from prison and they fall in love.
Dir: William Dieterle Cast: Ginger Rogers , Joseph Cotten , Shirley Temple .
BW-85 mins, CC,
12:45 AM Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer, The (1947) A teenage girl's crush on a playboy spells trouble, particularly when he falls for her older sister.
Dir: Irving Reis Cast: Cary Grant , Myrna Loy , Shirley Temple .
BW-95 mins, CC,
2:30 AM Kiss For Corliss, A (1949) A false rumor spreads through a town about the relationship between a teenage girl and an older sophisticated man.
Dir: Richard Wallace Cast: Shirley Temple , David Niven , Tom Tully .
BW-85 mins,
4:15 AM That Hagen Girl (1947) A small-town teenager thinks a lawyer is her illegitimate dad.
Dir: Peter Godfrey Cast: Ronald Reagan , Shirley Temple , Rory Calhoun .
BW-83 mins, CC,

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
jimmyjet said:
i havent seen the movies since i was a little boy.but i still recall lots of little tidbits.i already mentioned the scene about "her father ?".another important type of scene that just came up was in a movie where there was a war going on between a western country and a country from the middle east or africa ?they wore completely different type of clothing than what we would think of as military attire.anyways, shirley gets to talk to both leaders personally, although not at the same time.and of course, she likes both men, and tries her best to get them to come to terms so a bunch of soldiers dont get killed.i dont recall the outcome, but something tells me that she was not successful.of course there are all sorts of cute dancing scenes. but the ones that hang closest to me are the more serious scenes.
That's "Wee Willie Winkie" directed by none other than John Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks