Shipping Speakers X-Country

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian Speights, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

I am looking into the possibility of relocating to the other coast and I don't think I could bear to leave my speaks behind. Problem is they are floor standers and I no longer have the boxes.

Anybody have experience (positive or negative) shipping speakers and other equipment like amps?

Cost?

Recommended carriers?

Insurance?

Whatever you've got, I'm interested.

Christian

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Boxes get marked up big time retail, so if you have to use post-office or U-Haul types you'll pay dearly.

If you have a buddy that works at a warehouse, that's the ticket. I shipped a pair of Infinity's across the country and they arrived in A1 condition. Just be anal about packing them. Insurance can only be collected if you show proof that they were properly boxed.

- CM

3. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tip Colin. I don't know anyone that works in a warehouse so I may have to eat the cost of a box.
    Anybody else have some input or am I the only one foolish enough to traverse the country with 9 tons of AV gear?
    [​IMG]
    Christian

4. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

What about contacting the Manufacturer. They may be willing to give you or sell you boxes. Empty boxes are pretty cheap to ship.