What's new

shipping LPs (1 Viewer)

Sathyan

Second Unit
I've got about 25 lbs. of 12" records I need to ship a couple states away (I'm in the US). If it takes 2 weeks to arrive that's fine. What's the most economical way to do this? How should I package the LPs? My big concern is that the delivery/mail-person will drop & break these.

any ideas are appreciated
Sathyan

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
You'll get lots of help on this Sathyan, between our LPs and LDs.....a lot of us have shipped and received 12" discs!
I'd think about breaking (there must be a better word) this shipment into at least two different cartons.
Depending on the condition and value of these records you might also seriously consider removing the discs from the covers. Just about the most common damage to covers is the knife effect of the inertia of discs inside album covers while they're being handled and/or thrown around by shippers.
Other than that, double cartons and lots of packing peanuts.
Good luck!

Jim

Sorry, just noticed you asked about economy. I'd say media rate with my United States Postal Service.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
An alternate to removing the discs is to leave them in their jackets and binding the stack. I often do this when packing many LDs. What I do is cut a couple pieces of cardboard - the heavier variety if you have it - the same size, or maybe a bit bigger, than the LD. This is to protect the LD jackets. I place these at the top and bottom of the stack, wrap newspaper around the whole thing, and then bind it with tape around the center both ways, making certain to place a small amount of pressure on the stack when taping around the edges. This presses the discs together so that they can't move and do that knife thing Jim described.

With an adequately sized box (I find 14" x 14" to be ideal, but you can get away with smaller) and some peanuts, they'll be ok. Many stores like Office Max and Mail Boxes should have big enough boxes. Place peanuts on the top and bottom and sides and you're there.

Seth_S

Second Unit

I would want a tracking number - this is one shipment you don't want to take a chance of getting lost in the mail. I'd say get the cheapest service either FedEx or UPS offers.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Do you need to do this right away? I would consider the weather as a factor also. Records are much more fragile in the coldest weather, as would be the glue on the album jackets. You just never know if they'll be on a loading dock or truck in very cold weather for a long period of time.

Just something else to be concerned about...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks