Shipping componets? Double wall box!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff L, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi all,
    Maybe someone can educate me on what this is......
    I orderd a new sub-driver, very heavy-49lbs, and I asked them to double box it. Thier e-mail reply to me AFTER allready shipping, was~~~
    Quote:
    -----------
    A 40.00 cost incress would have been applied if sent double boxed. This due to size going over stardard shipping size by 1 inch. It was decieded to be sent it in a ***********
    ~{Double Walled box with peanuts}~
    -----------
    What the hell is a double walled box??
    [​IMG]
    Could someone who deals alot with shipping heavy electronic componet products, explain in detail what this is....
    Thanxs
    Geoff

2. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Maybe I'm wrong but all double boxing means that they take your original box, pack it in another box and then surround it with airbags, peanuts or something similar. This way any shock to the package SHOULD be absorbed by the outer layer.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yes this is how I wanted it shipped!!!
    The driver is used,,
    with NO BOX!!!! I asked for him to box bubble rap the woofer and then boh it, followed buy another bow... Hence double boxed.
    Insteed, his e-mail after allready shipping was what I wrote above. NO mention of bubble rap, just a ~{single double walled box with peanuts}~ !!
    I made it clear on three different e-mails to him, my concern for damage in shipment from Florida to Michigan. He agreed to pack as asked, and apprently when he arrived at the Post Office, the size of the two boxes went over a size requirement by 1 inchand thus they wanted an additionl $40.00 to ship. Instead of him calling me or e-mailing me he wet ahead and shipped in the way I described above. Im pissed, as im cetain it will arrive damaged.
    Yes it's insured for 100.00,and I did get a good buy, but this is not the point.
    Ive never heard of a double walled singel box before and want to know what the hell it is. I've e-mailed him back and gotten no reply, as I asked how big the box was and how much peanuts where around the driver. Did he put it in a bag. Did he cover the cone with cardboard or something to protect it, along with the venting on the back side. Even if it survives the trip will it still be use full. It was boght threw e-bay and his feedback was perfect with over 200 sales but come on dude talk to me. Im just very frustrated. I've bought a large number of items threw e-bay and things have allways went well
    ---------
    So what is a double walled single box???? Anyone!!!
    --------
    Regards
    Geoff
    PS. --->Im done ranting now as it wont change anything. I'll just have to wait till Monday or Tuesday to see if it survived.

4. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

I think I know what they meant.

I have to be careful with the size of my boxes that I use to double box items or the courier company will apply what they call dimensional weight as opposed to the actual weight of the box.

They use a formula based on the dimensions of the outer carton which can really blow the amount that one had budgeted for the shipping cost. Sometimes a four pound shipping weight can turn in to 40lbs easily by 'Dim Weight'.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yes I understand the dimension thing....
    And this is probley what happened, but still, his discription of shipping was,
    ~{Single double walled box}~
    I was so cranked up while writeing my last reply that I dont know how anybody could understand it. Letters missing in words, spelling screw ups,
    gheshhhh. Im still --> [​IMG]
    I still like to find out what a
    ~{Single Double Walled}~ box is....????
    Anyone!!!
    And thanks much for the replys so far guys!!