Shipping carrier appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jared_B, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I've had two experiences lately with the two major shipping carriers (FedEx and UPS). One was a Next-Day air, the other was Second-Day air. While tracking these orders online, I was just amazed at the complexity and speed of each network.

I've never really paid much attention to the details of my shipments - only the arrival date - but for some reason these two shipments caught my interest. I watched each one closely as they went from one warehouse to another, almost never spending more than a few minutes at each stop. These people work 24 hours a day - packing, sorting, driving, flying, and delivering.

Imagine telling someone from the early 1900s that you can receive a package from almost anywhere in the word only 24-48 hours after you order it. Sometimes it's nice to step back and look at the technology that makes our society work.

Ok, so I have one issue with the system: UPS will just leave a package on my doorstep, while FedEx requires a signature. My FedEx shipment was a Next-Day air, but the delivery attempt was at 11am while I was at work. I go home to find a note on my door saying I can pick the package up at a sorting facility with proper ID. The sorting facility is 30 minutes from my house, and they close at 6pm, effectively making my Next-Day air a Second-Day air. While I appreciate the extra security for more expensive items, the package I ordered was worth less than $20. Anyone know if you can tell them ahead of time to just leave the package without a signature?

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I think there is some form you can fill out to tell them to leave it w/o signature (my dad used to get lots of legal papers via FedEx Overnight and they used just leave them at the doorstep).

3. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Don't ever sign the form that allows them to leave anything on your door without a signature. If anything ever goes missing, it will be your loss.

I just had a Fedex driver try to steal my SACD player last month. He claimed it was delivered to my house at 10:04pm. Guess what? My wife and I were both there and he never even came near our house. Fedex inspectors told him to find it or pay for it. It showed up on my front porch the next day.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    There are several items for which you can't waive the signature requirement. I receive firearms at home via UPS and they really do demand to see me personally in order to deliver them. (Relax, I have the necessary FFL.)

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

6. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

7. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

While I don't mind smaller packages being left behind, I really dislike it when UPS leaves big expensive things behind. I recently bought an expensive mountain bike frame and specifically told the guy that I bought it from to make sure they wouldn't deliver it without a signature. Of course they just left it behind. Same with the expensive fork for said bike frame. At least my UPS driver has the courtesy to leave stuff on the back porch if he can't hide it behind a shrub or in the door, though.

8. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Actually, my UPS package arrived last night, and they would not leave it on my doorstep. I had to got to their sorting facility, but it's only 5 minutes from my house. Much more convenient than the FedEx facility which is like 4 cities away.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Their rapid delivery networks are impressive, though I've never used them due to cost.

However, I'd be more tempted to start a why I hate and wish I never had to use either company thread. The crap that has happened to my friends, family and self makes me wish there was another option that didn't have a ridiculous cost.

Ridiculous brokerage charges. Charging for things in the wrong currency. Charging things they shouldn't. Double charging for things and continuing to send bills for stuff after you've payed. Call centers asking for something different every time you phone in to try and straighten something out. Horrid website design and usability combined with shoty documentation on how to use their services (and what is required for some services; it's almost like they don't want you to know). Not having forms for ground (but they do for air) you can fill out at a drop off center. Not to mention the stories I've heard on how packages are treated (haven't experienced anything really bad on this front personally yet, thank god).

Yes I really look forward to using UPS (I'll never use FedEx again after they took 3 hours of my time and 2 months to get me back money they basically stole; still can't believe I actually got it back, well half of it anyways) [​IMG]

10. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

When it comes to delivering DVDs at least I have had the best luck with the good old USPS compared to FedEx or UPS.

I did see a great show on Discovery (or Disc. Wings) about FedEx's air freight hub, and they have a very impressive operation delivering to the entire world.