What's new

Shion's method of fine tuning stereo speaker placement (1 Viewer)

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,

Thought I'd share my method of placing speakers. This is pretty vague and general and assumes you've got a pretty good position (start by using the method described on the cardas webpage) and want to add the final touches. Buy, beg or borrow one Miss Saigon CD. Take the first disk. Use track 5 and 14. This will provide you with an idea of how centered and focused your vocals are. In general if you're vocals sound to the left of center a few inches, then slide both speakers about a quarter inch to the right (or move listening position if walls are a concern). Once vocals are dead center, refine focus to your taste by toeing speakers in and out.

Step 2, off axis sound. Go to track 7, you'll find a male and female vocalist on this track each being the same distance from the center, female to the right of center male to the left. If one seems closer to the center than the other you need to refine your center positioning. Adjust lateral distance and (to a much lesser degree toe-in) as appropriate (cardas distance from rear wall with tweaks for desired level of base response are normall pretty good and don't need to be toyed with till the very end) Until vocalists sound equidistant from center.

Step 3, final touch. Go to track 2, 3 minutes and 25 seconds into the song a guy walks around on the stage starting on the left side and walking semi-circularly "into" the stage announcing the names of 5 different women. The first women should be positioned very close to your left speaker, the second about 2/3rds of the way to the center and farther back in the soundstage, the third dead center and just a tad further back than the second into the soundstage, the fourth 1/3rd the distance to the right speaker and the 5th very close to the right speaker. You've got it right if the left and right sides sound symetrically distanced to the center.

Step 4, Base response. Move speakers forward and back a tad for base response and nearness effect.

step 5, adjust toe-in ever so slightly for final level of desired focus on vocals.

This is how I set mine up and once these steps are satisfied everything else sounds fantastic. Results may very on systems which have a little more trouble reproducing depth and lateral soundstages. Also harder to get ideal positions with acward sized rooms but cardas method should have found you the roughly optimum spot before you start. Anyway this is my CD of choice for speaker soundstage setup. Steps 4 and five can be done with a better vocal disk like Dianna Krall's look of love or Norah Jones Come Away With Me.

Maybe I should have posted this in the speakers thread?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
this presupposes one has received the appropriate notarized statement from the other half indicating just what you can get away with :D
in all seriousness though, Shion, thank you for sharing your method.

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Shion, I think all the checks you make as part of speaker 'calibration' are excellent. But for simplicity, a test disk like the one put out by XLO Cables, contains all the voices necessary to perform the same procedure.
There are recordings in both mono and stereo, and out of phase, to correct system deficiencies, and align speakers. It also has channel localization tests.
(It also has burn-in signals for burning-in equipment and cables if you are so inclined.)
This would save having to jump around to listen to various cuts on one or more music CDs.
It has a beautifully recorded vocal rendition of Stormy Weather with a cello and a Pflugel horn in the background for even testing forward to back location of instruments.
But I can certainly appreciate your efforts, and the Miss Saigon and Diana Krall albums are great to demonstrate the fruits of your labor.
http://www.allegro-music.com/online_...u_tag=REF31000

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks