What's new

Shindig? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
you know at the very least there must be existant video masters if they were able to release a serties of VHS compilations in the early 90's... I don't understand why in worst case scenario, they couldn't just go back and work from those masters?

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura
If we're still talking about "Shindig", somebody who has the tape set handy might want to double-check this, but I believe almost all of what was released on those tapes were kinescope transfers.

-Kevin

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
At this point Kevin, I'd be happy if they just worked from those transfers and got them out on DVD!

It's not like this stuff is videophile material anyway. I just want to have the music and performances available!

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator
The Beatles made an appearance on Shindig in late 1964 (I can't remember the month off hand, around October I believe). Shindig dedicated a show (or perhaps a series of shows, again I can't recall for sure) to British acts and taped the show (or shows) in England. The Beatles performed three songs ("Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey", "Boys", and "I'm A Loser").

The shows exists, apparently both the original 2-inch videotape as well as a kinescope. Strangely, when the Beatles did their own "Beatles Anthology" VHS/DVD project, they used part of "Kansas City", but from a kinescope source despite the fact that the entire original master videotape still exists (evidenced by the fact that it "circulates" among collectors). Even a semi-"outtake" exists, consisting of the same performance of "Kansas City", but without an extra layer of screaming audience added in. In short, the same footage with better sound.

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator

A few notes of interest regarding the Beatles' Sullivan shows: The DVD set released does indeed include the 4 complete broadcasts including commercials, but I've heard that they excised a few cigarette commercials. I've never bothered to check that out for sure, as that "cut" was of relatively little importance compared to seeing all 4 shows released in full.

The rehearsal show done in the afternoon in Miami (the second show featuring the Beatles) isn't on the DVD set, but "circulates" among collectors.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
There ARE some Shindig master tapes around, as opposed to kinescopes. About 20 years ago, 20/20 did a profile on songwriter Ellie Greenwich, who was about to debut a B'way musical based on her songs. Well, a videotape excerpt of The Ronettes singing "Be My Baby" on Shindig was shown, and I was in shock, as I had previously seen the clip as a kinescope copy. Obviously ABC held on to the master tape and the news division used it for 20/20. The show was an ABC in-house production, so it makes sense that they may have kept some master tapes. Perhaps if someone at Disney/Touchstone is reading this, check out those vaults! There may be a treasure trove ready for DVDs!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Every clip of Shindig I've seen (in VH1 documentaries) has been from 2" tape (in stark contrast with Hullabaloo). I think Dick Clark productions currently controls them.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
It's amazing how much good stuff was tossed due to the ignorance of the big three networks. Some of the stuff that has survived the dumpster, just makes you want for more.
I've seen some color videotaped shows from the early sixties like "The Tennessee Ernie Ford Show" and "The Dinah Shore Show" that look awesome.
As for the Ed Sullivan/Beatles compliation DVD, all the cigarette commercials were edited out in the DVD release...why...who knows.
I'd love to know for sure, what CBS did with it's first videotaped newscast with Douglas Edwards, from 1956. I feel it was most likely, erased.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Did Sullivan have a tobacco company sponsor at that time? If they were edited out it may be because Sofa Entertainment knew that kids might also be watching those old Ed Sullivan shows with their families, and didn't want to turn them on to smoking. ;)

At least they kept the Lipton Tea commercials with George Fenneman in. In the Miami Beach show from 1964 (The Beatles' second appearance), George was seen live on tape in front of an outdoor pool drinking the sponsor's product.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
So one thing not mentioned. Where are the tapes? Private hands or elsewhere? Did Ron find them at some college where they were donated as tape stock, like he found those American Bandstand and Joey Bishop talk show tapes?

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura
So one thing not mentioned. Where are the tapes? Private hands or elsewhere? Did Ron find them at some college where they were donated as tape stock, like he found those American Bandstand and Joey Bishop talk show tapes?

Well, I think for the moment, it's enough to celebrate the fact that they're still around, rather than get sidetracked on matters that essentially **don't** matter in the long run.

After 60+ years, I'm not even certain how I got to where **I** am, much less tracking the travels of a bunch of tape cases...!

- Kevin

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Location of any existing tapes *does* matter if you're expecting some kind of authorized release - physical or digital. Taking into account the vast issues and expense with music licensing these days I'd doubt you'll ever see a legit release of this program. Even the more well known American Bandstand has not seen any kind of release outside a few CD compilations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks