Shindig?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MarcoBiscotti, Mar 30, 2006.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Who else really wants to see some remastered releases of Shindig with pristine transfers and cleaned up audio?

Why hasn't anything been released yet on DVD and who would own the rights to do so? There were about 10 volumes from a VHS series released years ago that collected highlights of the series by theme (60's soul, brittish invasion, etc) and featured about 10 performances on each tape.

They could easily collect all of these volumes and package them together in a nice 5-disc box set.

What are the chances of ever seeing anything like this on DVD?

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Count me on this. I was a huge fan of the show. I watched the show every week when it aired in the mid 60s. IIRC, it was on two nights a week one season. My father and I used to get into some big arguments about watching this show. He, of course, just couldn't understand rock music.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I was just watching a bunch of videos on YouTube and it hit me that this has never been released. Who would one have to write / approach about this series?

4. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    I'm guessing music rights would be a nightmare. However, I'd like to jump on the bandwagon and throw in more Hullabaloo, In Concert, Midnight Special, American Bandstand, Solid Gold, Dance Fever, Soul Train, etc.

Until my next post, here's wishing you love, peace and . . . soul !

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I think, David, that you may be correct vis. music rights. Think about the 1965 Shindig edition with The Beatles performing "I'm a Loser." It would be great to see that again after all these years. But would The Beatles grant the music rights? Maddening!

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

But than how were the Hullabaloo sets able to get clearance?

Granted, they never featured acts quite as "prominent" as The Beatles...

But still a pretty impressive and eclectic setlist from The Kinks, Rolling Stones, The Byrds, The Animals, The Kingsmen, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Impressions, The Hollies, Herman's Hermits, Shangri-Las, The Outsiders, Joe Tex, The Everlies, The Lovin Spoonful, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Young Rascals, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Chuck Berry, The Fourtops, Martha & The Vandellas, The Toys, Frankie Avalon, Dionne Warwick, Petula Clark, Chad & Jeremy, Freddie & The Dreamers, Beau Brummels, Peter & Gordon, etc...

And Shindig was the more popular show!

Plus I imagine it'd be a lot easier to get clearance on live performance recordings which must be at least partly owned by the series producers, than to clear show footage with actual LP album tracks! Hullabaloo's basically releasing the original licensed recordings with the TV show footage...

7. Kevin Segura

Kevin Segura Stunt Coordinator

Kevin Segura
    Although musical rights would certainly be a factor, the bigger issue, I think, is that most of the existing run is only available as kinescopes. Though of course, if the producers are willing to spend the money, this can largely be rectified through the use of LiveFeed video processing.

And as a side note, although the entire episode with The Beatles is one of the few that does exist on videotape, I don't believe it's part of the official archive. It appears to have been "liberated" from the vault some time ago.

-Kevin

8. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    Kinescopes ? Oh dear. Can they really clean those up ?

9. Kevin Segura

Kevin Segura Stunt Coordinator

Kevin Segura
    To a surprising degree, if they're in reasonable shape.

-Kevin

10. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I read somewhere that The Beatles appeared on film from a remote location that aired (on tape) on Shindig. Is that true?

Well, it doesn't matter. I have all 4 Beatles appearances on my complete The Ed Sullivan Show discs. CBS had enough sense to save all of the Sullivan shows in original black & white videotape form. Some of the copies I have also feature original commericials for Lipton Tea taped in Florida that particular week with announcer George Fenneman. CBS saved all of the color tapes too. It's a shame so many of those haven't put out in their entirety. I don't buy "Best Of" compilations.

But as for all-music shows, Shindig over on ABC was a different story. I've seen clips of Shindig on documentary specials over the years, and one group not mentioned above: Sonny & Cher were on that show. It was a crappy looking "kinescope", filmed from one of the studio monitors. At least the color tape of those two on The Jerry Lewis Show in 1967 remains intact. I saw that in a VHS tape copy I got in the 1980s second generation from someone who got it from an airing on a Texas station. I think 1967 was the year that ABC realized the future value of their tapes (except for The Dick Cavett Show, which didn't start until 1968 and his tapes weren't saved until 1969).

NBC was usually better at saving old tapes (Sing Along with Mitch started in 1961). Maybe not as much as CBS, but the best of the mid 1960s music series was HULLABALOO -- produced in color from the start, but only some of those tapes have turned up. Mostly what we're stuck with are again B & W kinescopes, such as when Michael Landon of BONANZA guest hosted and sang in one show.

11. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

NBC was also horrible as well, in some areas moreso. ABC preserved a ton more in sports, including every Wide World of Sports, some old NBA, most Monday Night Football games, much college football. NBC wiped out 99% of the sports they did, including every World Series pre-1969, save for 2 games from 1952 that survived by accident.

The 3 color Hullabaloos that exist weren't saved by NBC but were rescued from a dumpster. There are Shindigs that exist on tape but in private hands, not at ABC. The folk show, Hootenanny, all tapes gone, only kines left. That Was the Week that Was, the shows were offered to the producer who declined and they were then discarded. The only reason SOME of the Dick Cavetts exist is that he was offered them and then took a selection of them but not a great percentage. Other ABC talk shows, such as Les Crane and Joey Bishop, are virtually gone, save the odd one or two that has turned up.

12. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    It's understandable that early television shows don't exist as they were live. But to know that so many great shows were done on tape and then discarded if horrible. Granted, there were no reruns or cable or satellite at the time.

I'd say one of the worst stories I've heard is that nearly all of the first 10 years of Johnny Carson's Tonight Show were done away with. That's obscene. I'm guessing there's also very little left of Steve Allen or Jack Parr's tenures on the show, either.

Also, isn't it true that there is very little left of Sid Caesar's Your Show Of Shows other than a few kinescopes ?

13. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Don't forget that most soap operas and game shows were systematically wiped until the late 1970s. Another poster (Charles Ellis, I believe) had some great (not in the sense of what happened, which is a tragedy) background info on this stuff.

14. Michael Alden

Actually untrue. All but one episode of both Your Show of Shows and the Sid Caesar show survive. Don't recall which of the two has the missing episode but it's the only one.

15. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I agree about The Tonight Show, and some of those 1960s shows preversed in original videotape form included shows with Don Rickles and another with Jack Webb and Johnny spoofing Dragnet.

However, when Steve Allen did the first Tonight Show it was done live and there was no videotape. Jack Paar's show was shot on videotape beginning in 1958. I do know from an old TV GUIDE that it was presented in color at some point. As with his prime time variety series for 3 years, the original tapes were not preserved. [​IMG]

16. Michael Alden

No, but there were kinescopes, all of which NBC tossed. And tape started in 1956 and those are all gone as well.

17. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
  18. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

But there were kinescopes. And a number of Steve Allen Tonight Shows exist (including the first show) thanks to Steve Allen and not NBC. Allen was known to stash personal reference copies of some of his work. He also saved some of the color 2" masters of his prime time variety show which date back as far as 1959 before NBC got their hands on them.

19. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

The local PBS station in my area shows Your show of shows on weekends. They did this as of late last year. They looked pretty good, too. They also showed some parts of the Dinah Shore show.

20. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

So I guess the chances of any possible future releases are highly unlikely than?

I was just watching some of the best live performances from Eric Burdon and The Yardbirds and some other amazing footage on YouTube and it's just insane to me that this stuff was never properly preserved and transferred.

I guess I'll be keeping my eyes out on alternative sources..