Shielded subs besides M&K?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Greg_TSL, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Greg_TSL

Greg_TSL Stunt Coordinator

After spending the last year planning on finalizing (like you can ever finalize) my home theater setup, I've finally realized that buying a shielded subwoofer is going to be cheaper than attempting to shield my current one from my RCA F38310 TV. I need to place the sub within 2 feet of the CRT and have decided encasing the sub in Mu-metal would probably not work, and would cost about $20,000.
    I think the M&K MX-350 is a good choice, but I'm wondering if anyone else knows of any other good shielded subs?
    TIA
    Greg

2. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

The Velodyne SPL series are shielded, for what that's worth, and you could probably get more than 1 for the price of the M&K.

3. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Velodyne's SPLs, as mentioned above, and their CHT series are shielded. Mirage told me their BPS-400 is, too. Also, Hsu's box subs, some PSB units, and most of Polk's subs are shielded.

Happy hunting!

4. Greg_TSL

Wow, I was kinda happy in a way when I thought there weren't that many choices!
    Now that it's been established that there are quite a few, anyone have any opinions on the ones discussed?
    I live in the middle of nowhere, so auditioning, or even listening to any of the ones mentioned is almost impossible.

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Of those mentioned, Hsu is one of the primary online sub manufacturers... they have a generous trial / return policy (you pay return shipping)... http://www.hsuresearch.com/

Research carefully... I'm not convinced that all their models are shielded.

FWIW, I've heard the box Hsu's (they also make cylinders), and they are yummy!... I like em way better than the Velodynes... haven't heard the others in too long to comment.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The question should be, how do you know the location you've chosen will work best for the sub...

7. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

As I said, Hsu's box subs (i.e., VTF-2 and VTF-3) are the shielded models, not all of their subs. If I recall correctly, the cylinder models are not.

If a used sub is an option, Velodyne's potent FSR servo series is shielded. Our FSR-18 is exceptionally well shielded, never causing problems about 2.5 feet away from our Sony Wega 36" TV, which is hypersensitive to magnetic fields.

8. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Strictly trial and error...

9. Greg_TSL

I dont have too much choice about sub placement right now, the room is fairly small and open on one side. I've got a 12" B&W sub that was in my B&W package just sitting in the main walking path.
    I have moved the sub around the room to test it out (giving a large buffer between it and my TV) and the main problem is the listening position is pretty sub-dead no matter where I place it. Several feet in any direction for listening and I get a much more satisfying result than in the main listening spot!
    This said, I think I'd like to get a sub I can place near the TV, and hope for the best at this time.
    This is our first house, and at this point, not having to stumble over the sub is a top priority, but I'd like a high quality, long term sub that I dont have to worry about magnetic interference, so when we do settle into a more spacious home, I have flexibility in its placement, and a sub I feel confident will sound good for years to come.