Sheryl Crow Globe Sessions DTS vs DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music' started by Cameron Yee, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I noticed that Sheryl Crow's The Globe Sessions came out on DVD-A. Can anyone make an audio comparison between it and the DTS ES CD (all other things being equal of course)? Even in general terms would there be a significant difference from the DTS version (if it isn't obvious I have the DTS CD already).

2. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Local shop has a sale so I decided to spring for the Crow DVD-A to make my own comparison. I don't know if it's because of the mix but I prefer the DVD-A. The DTS is not as enveloping; the vocals are strongly localized in the center channel and generally everything seems too localized. The DVD-A also has three music videos, a video interview, photos and lyrics.

3. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Cameron:

How's the video content/quality? Do the music vids look decent? Is the interview substantive? Are there just a couple of photos, or a couple dozen or more?

-p

4. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Video quality is okay. Certainly not what it would be if the disc were solely video content. I think the quality for "Anything but Down" is the worst of the three (and I never cared for the weird imagery in it besides) and "Favorite Mistake" the best (despite the addition of film grain/dust video effects). Audio for them is standard 44.1/16bit.

Interview looks like an old promo clip, running in at just under 5 minutes.

About a dozen photos.

All in all it's not a huge amount of extras, but worthwhile for the audio quality. Getting it for 14.50 also helped in the decision.

5. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Thx, Cameron.

"Purist" notions and the video content have me strongly leaning towards the DVD-As for all these UMG releases for which there are also SACDs.

-p

6. Richard Hardbattle

Richard Hardbattle Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the DVD-A and I already own the DTS ES CD (and I do have a DTS ES setup....) and flick between the two, the DVD-A sounds a lot better.

Louder, clearer and more seperation on the surrounds - but not so active as to distract from the actual tracks.

A very nice effort, that I'd recommend.

Rich

7. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I read the other day the release of the "Best of" will have a CD/DVD package set that includes 12 of her music videos. I've been waiting for a video collection for awhile now, so this is good news.

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Cameron et al.:

Although I'm happy to see the overdue release of more music videos, I'm already vexed by these CD/DVD releases from labels who have released/are 'supporting' SACD and/or DVD-A.

There are other examples: the new Eagles greatest hits package on Warner (2 CDs and a "bonus" DVD-V instead of perhaps a double DVD-A with the "bonus" DVD-V's "Hole In the World" content included thereon); the Rush In Rio concert film DVD-V (with a companion Atlantic 3 CD release instead of a DVD-A with perhaps one or two concert clips).

If there are no authoring or capacity limitations (in the case of the Crow release you're referring to, perhaps 12 music videos might tax the bit budget too much to also include a full length album of hits), I'd prefer to see more DVD-A high rez releases that include the video content, rather than more CD releases with separate companion DVD-Vs.

I think the labels' current approach might be partly to blame for the laypersons' misconception of DVD-A as a "DVD-V with no movie on it."

-p