Sherwood r-963 as pre/pro against High-End seperates...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by granite_g, Aug 1, 2002.

1. granite_g

granite_g Agent

I thought this would make an interesting thread.... I currently own the sherwood r-963 and have been very happy with the performance in music and ht. The 963 replaced my denon 3802, which I thought was a good unit. But after A/B testing I feel the 963 was much more neutral and has a better sound-stage. The denon sounded more bright and at reference levels would get distorted.
    I have been thinking of going separates but I'm so happy with the 963, especially as a processor. My thoughts are to add an external amp(maybe the new sherbourn 7/channel/200 watts) to get better detail and clarity, also more volume/ db's.
    My question is there that much difference in sound qualtiy and performance to justify spending double the price for a different processor( anthem, b&k, rotel,lexicon,integra or any other top-end unit)maybe....? I just think for what the 963 offers for features it makes an great pre/pro.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

That was my experience with a Newcastle R-945MKII vs. a Denon 3300. The Newcastle was much nicer for the money. Since you already like the Newcastle receiver, why not wait for their new pre/pro and 7 channel amplifier which is supposed to be out this fall? At the least you could buy the amp first and add the pre/pro later.

Brian

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to receivers/amps

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor