What's new

Sherwood Newcastle Receivers (1 Viewer)

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
I have used Sherwood Newcastle Receivers for years. Nothing

comes close in terms of quality and performance, IMHO.

(How many refurb units do you see sold on the Net?) Currently I am using three Newcastle Receivers in my HT; the most recent purchase was a R626 about two years ago. I recently called Tech Support with questions about the new R863. No one was available, so I left a message...I received a RETURN CALL in about an hour. I haven't seen

the manual for R863, but Sherwood receivers have been traditionaly very easy to set-up.

Jeff, I am going to set the "way back machine" to the old

ETOWN.COM days. Remember the Famous Brent Butterworth Ersatz Dolby Digital EX Configuration? That was my first experience with Sherwood Newcastle. Thanks to Eugene in

Tech Support for his patience. I really appreciate his help.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Marvin:
Thanks for the pat on the back.
We wouldn't be building receivers, etc. for all those fancy brands if we weren't good at it.
As to E-Town, to an old guy like me it seems like only yesterday. But I guess in web years it was paleolithic.
Jeff
P. S. Glad you liked the customer service. I've even been known to answer Sherwood and Newcastle E-mail 7 days a week and can be reached at: [email protected] .

Anthony GT

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I need some help finding a dealer for Sherwood receivers. I sent an email to the sales staff listed on the website early last week but haven't heard back yet.

I then called the dealer line listed on the website and was given a number for a rep in the MD area. I called it yesterday and it was a fax machine! Doh!

So, where can I go see Newcastle products in the MD area? And are there any Authorized internet dealers for Newcastle products?

You may want to let the person in charge of marketing know that it should be A LOT easier to find out who carries your products.

Thanks!

Anthony

W

Will

Yes, I am with Sherwood.

Feature wise, the pre/pro will have the same functionality as the R-963 plus fully adjustable DPL II music mode and Dolby Headphone.

Tentative SRP is $1500.

Do you have any more information about the new pre/pro. Is it expected in the fall? Will it have the identical crossover frequencies as the R-963? Thanks!

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Will:

The pre/pro will be introduced at the CEDIA 2002 Expo in late September. No additonal details are available at this time.

Jeff

EvanH

Grip
Jeff,

Tried to email you this but got a return message from your stereojeff email address. Anyway here's my questions:

I am looking for authorized retailers in the Columbus,

OH area to take a look at the R-963 receiver. I was

also wondering if Sherwood has any online authorized

retailers and whether the R-963 has discreet on/off

and surround mode remote codes. Thanks

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Evan, my AVP-9080 has discrete codes for on/off and surround modes, so I would guess that the newer Sherwood products would also. BTW, I'm happier with my Sherwood pre/pro and amp every time I turn them on.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Evan:
The Sherwood Newcastle R-963 has discrete on/off codes and discrete codes for the surround modes.
In the Columbus, OH area, you need to talk to Bob Kirk at Archive Audio. I'll try to forward the contact details on Monday when I'm at work.
Jeff Hipps
For E-mail,please use: [email protected]

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
The Autodetect "foreshortening" of the begining of the track on CD's when using a digital input does not occur on the R-963/R-863.

Jeff

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Larry B:

I have no reservations about recommending the R-963 for use as a pre/pro only. Although I haven't compared it directly to the AVP-9080, I would expect them to be very close. And the R-963 has an advantage on PCM material as it can upconvert to 192/24.

Jeff

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, any chance you can tell me if there are any Newcastle dealers in the St. Louis area? Thanks.

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, figures there would be no St. Louis dealers. If so, any e-tailers you would recommend. Thanks.

StevenK

Second Unit
I'm also interested in an e-tailer, especially one that carries the 863. I've had it up to here with Sacramento B&M, so e-tailers are the only route for me.

Joris R

Auditioning
I was reading all the postings concerning the new Outlaw 950 pre/pro and 1 of the things that were mentioned was the 7.1 dsp mode from Cirrus, called CES i believe.
The reactions of the beta-testers was very positive indeed.
The reason i'm mentioning this here is the fact that the SN R-963 and R-863 have a funcionality called Crystal Extra Surround or something to that extend.
Both Outlaw and SN use cirrus'products therefore I'm wondering if this funcionality is principally the same or if they are completely unrelated to each other.
Whatever the case is i'm wondering if anyone can tell what the Crystal Extra Surround mode on the SN R-963 and R-863 does.
Also I'm wondering if the dot-matrix display on the new R-963 is different in comparison to the older R-956.
When looking at the latest pictures on the sherwood website it seems me that the new display is of a deeper blue color where the older R-956 has the same color display as for instance the Denon receivers, a lighter blue display.
From comparing photos on that website the difference seems obvious.
Are they really different or is it just the lighting on the photos.
new963-23k.jpg
R956.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks