What's new

Sherwood-Newcastle R-963's come in black?! (1 Viewer)

BenG

Agent
Just received my R-963! Woohoo!
However, it is *black*, not silver as I've seen in every online picture of it. Anyone know if this is a newer revision, or...?
Once I get it hooked up and play around with it a bit, I'll post a preliminary review :)

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Sherwood Newcastle R-963 and R-863's both come in titanium and black. The titanium models are properly R-963T and R-863T.

Jeff

Han

Second Unit
Jeff, am I correct in assuming the upcoming pre/pro version of that receiver will also be available in both titanium and black. This is a make or break thing!:D
Actually, I prefer to keep all my stuff black and nearly invisible/non-distracting in appearance when the lights are turned off.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
I hate black. I much prefer titanium. But I don't want any one to skip our reciever our pre-pro becuase it doesn't match up to some 1000 disc DVD changer that only comes in black. So for the forseeable future, new Sherwood Newcastle products will be available in both titanium and black.

Jeff

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The titanium look on my AVP-9080 and AM-9080 looks really cool. (click the little house to see photos). The problem is that it clashes horribly with the "titanium" hue of my Technics DVD-A10. I have them on separate shelves so it's not so bad, but when I put them together it looks HIDEOUS.

The nice thing about black is that it always matches.

BTW Jeff, thanks for stopping by regularly. It really enhances the entire Sherwood Newcastle ownership experience (already fabulous since the gear sounds so good) to have you here.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Jeff:

Regarding the S&V review, and the bass management issue on the 5.1 input, is it a design flaw or was this intended? Also, will it be different for the prepro version?

Thanks.

Rich B.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Let's just say it was not what I expected.

But as I pointed out to Danny Kumin, since there are virtualy no receivers with bass management on the direct input available from anyone, our inclusion of switchable high pass filtering, while far from optimum, at least safe guards against unintended damage to any small satellite speakers from out of band bass content.

As to future products, I expect we'll have better execution of this feature.

Jeff

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Jeff:

Thanks for answering - I know it's a tough question. I'm also glad to see future products will have a "better" version.

Rich B.

EvanH

Grip
BenG...so how do you like the R-963? And when is hometheaterhifi ever going to post their review? Seems I've been waiting forever for their review....

Evan

EvanH

Grip
woohoo...hadn't heard anything and thought maybe you'd scrapped it or something...anyway, I can wait...I'm patient...really...oh who am I kidding! :D

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Evan,

I'm about 1/4th of the way through the writeup. If I finish 25% a night, and then spend another night editing my egregious mistakes....

I suspect by the time it's edited and reviewed by my peers, it will be around the end of the month.

Regards,

John Garn

Agent
To anyone who has a 963---

I am contemplating purchasing a unit but cannot find front panel literature or a local dealer anywhere---

Since I have a wife who likes things simple and who hates remotes, I want to know if the front panel has simple manual tuning buttons for AM/FM (like the Yamaha and Onkyo and not like the Denon units) and also, is their a station scanning feature?

Would appreciate a response.

John G

Ed Haze

Agent
I have the R-863, but I know the R-963 has the same manual tuning buttons on the front of the unit. There is also a button to switch between manual and preset tuning. FYI, these receivers are incredible. I was planning to hold off on the receiver before buying new speakers, but I ran across the 863 for $685 delivered(about $150 cheaper than anywhere else I found) and could not pass that up. The same company carries the 963, and I think he quoted $1050?(or something like that). Check out Audioweb.com and search 'Newcastle', the members name is 'AudioGuy' and he works for a company called Westworld Distribution. The R-863 looks and sound even better than I had anticipated, I can only imagine the 963 sounding as good and then some. I can't wait to get some Studio 40s to run with this thing, although I have to say I have never heard my Infinity Reference Sixes sound so good!

EvanH

Grip
Well I slacked off and didn't call the audioguy from Westworld until tonight. They had 1 963 left a day or two ago...but they sold the last one tonight and aren't getting anymore....anyone know where I can get the Sherwood Newcastle 963 for right around that 1050 + shipping price?

Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks