What's new

Sherwood Newcastle AM9080 owners... (1 Viewer)

StevenK

Second Unit
maybe i can get some input on this.
I just bought a cheap Sherwood receiver with Digi-Link III to trigger the amp (and it works ;) ). I've hooked up an oscilloscope to the Digi-Link III output and saw a 5.5 Volt step, followed by a 12V spike. So the question now is how do I reproduce that pattern without the receiver, so I can trigger amp? Do you think there is any way to modify the standard 12-V trigger on most other receivers to do this pattern? I've tried to manually approximate this pattern via a crude breadboard circuit, but nothin'...I'm obviously missing something else. Any clues?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I can't help in this endeavor but I would like to know if it's possible. I'd love to buy a solution for this "problem".

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Steven,
Does it stay at 5.5volts or does the signal consist of single pulse? If it's a pulse, how long does the pulse occur and when the 12v spike occurs does it go from 5V to 12V and drop to zero at the end of the pulse.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Another useful bit of info would be how a more typical 12V receiver output trace is on the scope. Then it would be easier to determine how to turn the 12 V signal trace into the Sherwood trace.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Typically an amp trigger is just a DC voltage threshold(ie steady voltage above 5-12V). The Sherwood is apparently different and if there is a spike going twice the voltage when you turn off the receiver it may be driving a relay coil directly. But it sounded like a pulse from Steve's description...

StevenK

Second Unit
First off, please excuse the lack of proper electric/electronic related terms....i'm an aerospace engineer after all :) ...and to tell you the truth, I got a C on both my electronics class in undergraduate school ;) There is a high probability I could just be reading the oscilloscope wrong.
anyways, the 5.5 V, looks like a step function--that is, baseline is at ~0.5 V, then "jumps" to 5.5V after pressing "standby" on the Sherwood receiver. This is immediately followed by as 12V "pulse" -- going to 17V, then back to 5.5V. I'd also like to mention that the Digi-Link III connection also does things such as controlling Sherwood transports and synchronizing Sherwood components, so maybe one of the 2 things happening has nothing to do with the amp trigger.
btw, i traced a "regular" 12V trigger and indeed it is just a 12V "pulse".
Thanks for all your input.
I have EE guru coming over tonight to drink beers and fiddle around with this stuff...might not be a good combination.

StevenK

Second Unit
I'm confused....

are you mocking us poor people who can't afford the matching AVP9080?

or just me...the electronics buffoon?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks