Sherwood Newcastle 863 or Yamaha V2200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Reinis, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Jeff Reinis

Jeff Reinis Extra

It is finally time to purchase a new receiver and I think I have narrowed it down to one of these two. I like the Yamaha because I have been able to listen to it at our local Tweeter and it sounds good. But the Newcastle 863 looks and seems like such a good deal for everything you get and it looks good in titanium. This is for 80% movies and 20% music. Any advice/input would be appreciated by anyone who is famailar with either one.

I can get them for around the same price it seems.

2. granite_g

granite_g Agent

Jeff
    I own the 963 which is basically the same but with more power(120 per-channel vs 100 per channel of the 863 I think...?) What I can tell you is that I own the denon 3802. I find the sound-stage and depth is much better with the 963 over the denon.. I have not listened to the yamaha so I can't compare... The 963 is excellent in both ht and music. I don't think you can go wrong with the 963, especially if the units are the same money... Good Luck..
    [​IMG]

3. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

Although not entirely germane to your question given your request for comparative information between our R-863 and the Yamaha V2200, there is a French site http://www.hifissimo.com/store/loadp..._ampli_av.html
    with a comparison between the Marantz SR6200, the Harman Kardon AVR550, the Denon 3802 and the Newcastle R-863.
    Their conclusion: (if my high school French has held up[​IMG] "My test is finished and the Sherwood is the victor. To my knowledge, this is the second time that Shewood has an integrated home cinema amplifier that surpasses it's know competitors."
    Hope you find the information useful.
    Jeff

4. Ed Haze

Ed Haze Agent

I have been elated with my 863 from day one. Lots of clean power, plenty of inputs(for me), and the remote is great. Sonically it surpasses what I heard from the Denon 3802 and a comparable Yammie. Although I listen to mainly 2 channel stereo, the HT sound on the DVDs I have watched blew away my old Yammie. IMO, 863 is the best in class.