What's new

Sherwood: DD EX /DTS ES receivers for 199 and 249 - What's the catch? (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I am in the market for a cheap sound upgrade, and noticed that Sherwood has a couple of full-on 6.1 receivers with both DD EX and DTS ES for both $199 and $249. I know they have limited (if any) video switching capabilities....none on the $199 model, in fact, but I wondered if there was any other catch to these seemingly good buys.

I read a review for the $199 model in Sound and Vision, and they gave it surprisingly high marks, despite the fact it didn't have posts to connect the speakers (just the old fashioned inputs) and the fact that no video switching was available. Anybody have any experience with the RD-7108 or the RD-8108?

If I sound like a noob, that's because I am. My current HT is a Sony HTIB, I've never even owned an actual receiver before.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I think Sherwood competes with most of the major low end receiver company in sound quality, and in my opinion usually out guns them. What they lack are features. They do usually have the important stuff like 5.1 inputs/outputs but it has no video switching, crappy remote, non gold plated plugs, cheap manual and is just really stripped down. I have owned a sherwood in my bedroom for about 4 years which I paid 150 for and it is a tank, talk about built to last. I am eagerly awaiting their new pre/pro. In terms of justifying their price, its all in the sound and hardware, no frills at all.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I don't see a catch anywhere. If you like the sound and don't feel it's underpowered then thats it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks