Sherwood America announces new preamp/processor and amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Jan 7, 2002.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Sherwood has announced that they will be releasing their much awaited successors to their AVP-9080r and AM-9080, the P-958 and A-958 in 2002. Unfortunately, the release date is not until September... Also, no price has been decided on as of yet. For more info, look HERE. The September availability date makes the Outlaw 950 eventual launch all the more impressive...
  2. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Sep 30, 2001
    So interesting that it has the same faceplate as the AVP9080R. I'm sure that means that the one that I just bought will be upgradeable for a few hundred bucks huh?!

--I won't hold my breath.

But, since I only paid $350 for it new, I had suspected that it was already pretty obsolete. Sure would have been nice to have that 2nd zone, or maybe DPLII or, er, OK I'll stop.

A question about the current model. The manual states that for the direct 6 analog iputs that the signal is ONLY passed through the tone and volume pots, ie no DSP, gain, etc. Then if one hits the tone defeat button, presumably that would be out of the circuit too, leaving only the vol control. That's good, but I haven't tried it yet (cables on order). My question now: Can one run any of the other inputs, such as CD stereo analog, without passing through the preamps gain stage?
  3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Aug 3, 2000
    Still looking for a successor to my Sony TA-E9000ES...
    Looks mostly good:
    + DD EX/DTS-ES (discrete, hopefully), DPL II
    + phono input
    - only 2 coax inputs
    - 192/24 PCM up-sampling. I personally would prefer 176.4/24 because then you don't have to "re-sample" the incoming signal, which has been known to degrade (and add jitter, etc.)
    + DVD-A and SACD ready. I'm assuming that it will support *both* (i.e., more than one 5.1 analog input). [​IMG]
    Thanks for the link!