Sherwood AM-9080

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Hello,
    I just purchased this amp without auditioning it. It fit into my budget/power needs well.
    This is my first step into separates and I hope I made a good decision. I'd love to hear from users (or former users) of this amp. What can I expect?
    My current system is centered by a harmon/kardon AVR-7000 receiver. The 7000 will serve preamp duties for several months as I decide what to do on the pre/pro front. I have all Definitive speakers (BP2000 mains and BP30 rears).
    Sherwood has the stigma of "crappy" to me so I was a bit hesitant. I realize the AM-9080 isn't the same as the components you find at Wal-Mart but that did bother me a bit at first.
    Anyway, I'd love to hear comments on this amp. Boost my ego please! [​IMG]

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Thanks John!

I didn't even know it came with interconnects! I was actually shopping for those too.

I can't fathom how interconnects can cost so much. Considered trying Outlaw's brand. We'll see.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I love this amp in my system and am very happy with the included interconnects. The only problem is that at 72lbs it's logistically difficult to find a shelf to hold it. I had to disassemble my Bell'Oggetti rack and remove the bottom tempered glass shelf to make it work.

5. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Great amp, good build, 3 transformers, great looks and most important nice smooth sound. Best amp I've owned in its price range and also beats many more expensive amps. Sounds good for music as well as HT. I sold the amps since but I'm still using the interconnects which haven't given me a problem.

6. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Compare these values: Anthem MCA5 $1020 delivered vs. AM-9080 for $620 delivered -- for 60% music & 40% HT at under reference volumes using efficient 4-ohm speakers all the way around. I've noticed very few Anthem solid state amps for resale by the way.

John: For your value comparisons, price range being under $500 or list $1199?

Also considering recommending this to a friend. Online this unit is new $620 delivered (maybe less if haggling) -- any better deals for a new unit?

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

8. John Tompkins

DougO,
    JohnM is correct as you can get it for less then 620.00, actually I have seen them go for 400.00 new on ebay.
    As an example for comparision without stepping on too many toes[​IMG] I will use the 1000.00 rotel rb-985 thx 110X5 unit that gets great reviews. I have had both and the sherwood wins hands down in every catagory in my opinion. The rotel is light, runs hot as hell, cheap binding posts and sounds brittle in comparision to the sherwood again in my opinion with my system/ears. I havent actually ever owned the anthem amps so can't comment. I'm using street prices to justify costs and not retail as I never pay retail.

9. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

I'll chime in as another happy Sherwood AM-9080 owner. My biggest remorse between the time I placed the order for the unit (they were going for $350 on uBid for several weeks) and the time the unit arrived was that I read a review where the reviewer claimed that the unit made vocals sound like the dying screams of the critically wounded, etc. He claimed that the real rating of the amp was about 75 WPC, and on and on. I had never seen a professional review like that in my entire life.

Several months later, my only regret is that I didn't buy three or four of these units at that $350 price. I could always use another one or two here and there with my various stereo systems at home and at work and could sell the others at a tidy profit.

If I were going to spend $1000 on a five channel amp I would buy an Outlaw 750. For any amout less than that I think the Sherwood is a great buy.

--Steve

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Steve,

I read that review also and took it with a grain of salt. After living with the 9080 for a few months I can authoritatively say that reviewer has absolutely ZERO credibility with me. The 9080 is a fine amp.

I'm one of the lucky few who won it at uBid for $350. Shipping was only $40 and the sucker is awesome.

11. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Good to know so many of you have experience with this amp.
    I too read that review and found it alarming. A little poking around the forums suggested that reviewer was in the minority. Here's a link to that review: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/test...9080.shtml
    It's easily the most harsh review I've ever read. Here's hoping I don't agree with it once I get mine! [​IMG]

12. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

Actually, these amps are very, very good for the money. There should be a big difference between HK amps and Sherwood based on my experience, the Sherwood as a little more laid back treble but has a more realistic midrange.

Actually, I have an extra Sherwood AM 9080 available if anyone is interested.

13. Jack_Geo

Jack_Geo Stunt Coordinator

Ted:

I may be interested...please drop me a PM or an email.

Thanks!

Jack

14. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Sent you a PM Ted

15. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Ok, I'm curious about the AM-9080 now. Anyone know where to still buy one at a good price? The only place I could find one is on Audiogon but of course the dealers there all want full price for their stuff. ($1100!)

Jeff

16. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

17. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Thanks Camp.

Can anyone tell me what the noise floor is like with this amp? Any humming or hissing?

Also, how would it compare to Parasound?

Jeff

18. John Tompkins

I had no humming or hissing on mine and also it didnt run real hot. I now have the parasound 2205 which I love. The sherwood in comparsion is close, the only differences between the two models that I have tried is, The 2205 is a bit more dynamic, a bit better resolution and I think the 9080 is a bit warmer. The 2205 retails for 2000.00 and can be had used for 1250.00~ which is much more expensive then the 9080, again the sherwood is highly recommened in anywhere near its price range.

19. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

20. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Camp,

I've heard nothing but good thngs about this amp's performance, I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with its sound. Only one thing, you won't be able to auto trigger the amp on. The trigger input on the back of the amp is proprietary Sherwood connection. This was verified by Jeff Hipps (Sherwood honcho that hangs out on the forum).

Rich B.