Sherwood 9080 Combo vs. HK 510 + Amp.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lando P, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Lando P

Lando P Agent

I was considering to add a power amp to my HK510. I was choosing between B&K ST3140 (3 x 140w), AMC 2N100-3 (3 x 150w), and Denon POA-8300 (3 x 120w THX). Yesterday, I went to a local store that had a Sherwood AVP-9080/AM-9080 combo for a demo for $1200. I don't know whether to get the Sherwood and trade the HK510 for more than half less than what I paid for or stick with my present plan of adding a power amp to the HK510.

Any comments?

My speakers are Acoustic Energy Aegis 3 (Fronts), Aegis Center, Aegis 1 (Rears) and Aegis Sub.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

I would take the HK into the store and see how well it performs with the Sherwood amp. Compare the pre/pro section of the HK with the Sherwood. My experience is you'll find a big difference in presentation. See Camp's thread about the Sherwood. One last thing, if I remember correctly the Aeigis series uses silk dome tweeters. The Newcastles laid back highs in combination with silk domes might be too much of a good thing in absolute terms. Try before you buy. YMMV.

For the amps, I would recommend both the B&K and Sherwood, forget about the AMC. I can't remember the last time an AMC product got a good review, though I might not have been paying close enough attention. They are basically a NAD imitator.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Lando: I really can't comment on the HK since I've never heard one. However, the SN combo is very nice for the money. The preamp has a great analog bypass and sounds great for movie playback too. However, the SN 9080r preamp does not support 6.1/7.1 or DPL2 though, so if you want that, you should look elsewhere.

4. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

Regarding the Sherwood combo, if it turns out you like that you can pick it up for less than the $1200 if you sniff around the internet some - unless you're averse to web buying.

5. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

$600 each for the AVP-9080 and AM-9080 is a damn good deal.

6. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Can be had cheaper.. I picked up my AM9080 new in box for 400 and change

7. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Yes, but this is a good price for a local dealer. The only way you can get it for $400 is used on Ebay.

The cheap new ones online are all dried up.

8. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I don't know if he still has it, but a HTF member has such a combo (new) listed in the Hardware for Sale section for $900.
    Here is the link.
    -Keith

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The combo is only 5.1 but it is stellar. The price is very good. I agree with the recommendation to bring your H/K to the dealer and hook it up and try it out. The remote on the S/N 9080 pre is poor IMO. Budget a good universal if you don't already have one. The AM-9080 can only be switched on by a proprietary connection. If you hook it to your H/K you'll have to manually turn it on. I would be surprised if the dealer is willing to part with the 9080 combo one piece at a time, they probably want to sell them as a combination.

10. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

What do you guys think about the Sherwood combo vs a Onkyo 898? I have a Onkyo 898 paired with Klipsch and have been considering switching out the Onkyo to the Sherwood combo. Would there be a major difference in sound between the two of them? I know that one is 5.1 and the other is 7.1 but in my current room I can only set up 5.1 so that isn't really a big deal to me. I will be there for a minimum of 2 years so I won't be able to do 7.1 until at least then.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I had an Onkyo 919 before I got the Sherwood combo. To tell you the truth I can't really tell a difference in sound. I never could A/B them and the 919 was AWESOME. I got the S/N combo mostly for ease of use compared to the multiple external decoders that I had to use. That said, I'm sure that the 919 is a lot more robust in the amplifier section than the 898. I would think that you'd get a significant improvement from the S/N combo if you're sticking with just 5.1. But I could be full of shit. Wouldn't be the first time. [​IMG]
    One thing: The S/N pre/pro - amp combo will look damn impressive! [​IMG]

12. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Wow, the good 'ol Onkyo 919 and ED-901. I had one of these and then I got a Millennium DTS decoder too. That was one awesome receiver. Probably the best pre-Dolby Digital receiver ever made. It still works today, a friend of mine owns it now.

Jeff