What's new

Sherwood 6108 Avr $99 After Rebate W/free Shipping (1 Viewer)

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
This is for those on a very tight budget or simply need a second AVR for the bedroom, computer, or kids or introduce others to the joys of HT without breaking the bank. The normal price on this is $169.99 but right now it's on sale for $129.99 with a $30 rebate at www.CircuitCity.com . I hope this helps some of you in need (I bought it for my bedroom).
A friend of mine owns this for his main theater (he's budget strapped and I gave him an old set of mine previous theaters speakers, amp, and sub) in a small 9' x 13' x 7.5' room. I will list the observed strengths and weaknesses.
Strengths:
1) DD/DTS in 5.1, DPL2, with auto format decoding
2) Front AV input
3) 2 coax/1 optical digital input (addressable)
4) 96/24 DACs
5) 80hz cross-over points
6) Sleep Timer, I think it was 10 minute increments
7) relatively clean sounding at -10 db from reference
Weaknesses:
1) spring clip connectors
2) remote (only controls other Sherwood products)
3) though the manual states this (as well as other online places) there are no 5.1 pre-outs or pre-outs on all channel.
4) composite video switching only.
5) If I remember correctly a grand total of 6 AV inputs (2 video rears/1 front)
6) power rated from 40-20k, @100 wpc (yeah right, and with a 200 watt power consumption?).
7) does have 5.1 inputs, but don't know if the volume control works with them (unlike past Sherwoods that didn't).
8) no accesory outlet to plug in other low powered gear (this is the first AVR that I've seen that lacks this so it was a shock to me though I've only used this in the past for my backlighting).
9) no digital output
10) no circle surround, DTS-neo, or 5-channel stereo modes.
Hope this helps some of you on your decisions and limitations of this product. It does have a strong sub pre-out and I would highly recommend using a powered sub with this. Does anyone working at Circuit City know if this works with the upgrade program?

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Robert, Do you know if this was a Thanksgiving sale price? Checking the website today it shows it as $150 as the sale price and no mention of any rebate. This would be a perfect receiver for the basement setup.

Kevin

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
They had this in both the Thursday (this was for the day after Thanksgiving though I ordered it for this price on Thanksgiving day and saved myself the Friday morning madness, what shocked me also was the free shipping as well) and Sunday paper (this particular AVR goes on sale about every 6 weeks for about $129.99 but this time there was a rebate of $30). Wow sorry about the sticker shock as I'm surprised that the online site price jumped up to $149 (not much of a sale now). If you get the Sunday paper, just check their ad and see if you can use it as a bargaining chip otherwise maybe call them and see if you can still get the price.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
btw, here's a copy of the link for the $30 rebate:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/i...nt&incat=65609
but looking at this form it was only good for the dates of 11-28 to 11-30 but you might want to ask if it might still help you. Good luck but unfortunately I think that I might of made the post too late but when I saw this in the Sunday paper I thought this sale would last at least thru Saturday. Hopefully they'll have a similar sale either just before Christmas or the day after.

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
I bought one of these for $99 (after rebate) for my daughter as a Christmas present. I hooked it up to test it and I was pleasantly suprised. I only used 2 channels, but it sounded pretty damn good considering the price. Maybe it will go on sale again.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks