Sherlock on DVD....Anybody Know?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Feb 4, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Feb 4, 2002
    Anybody know if Universal (or any outfit) has any plans to release a complete set of the 14 Sherlock Holmes films (made from 1939-1946) starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce?
    I've always loved watching these Basil Classics. I have all fourteen on VHS [13 of which were put out by Key Video in 1988]. The quality is pretty good....but, naturally, I'd like to have them on DVD.
    I currently have 1 DVD with 3 of the Rathbone films on it....but more is always welcome.
    Who else likes Sherlock?
    My fave .... 1939's "The Hound of the Baskervilles". Also worthwhile is the 1959 remake of "Hound", with the fantastic duo of Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee. (DVD on the latter would also be nice. [​IMG] )
  2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

May 30, 2000
    The Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee "Hound of the Baskervilles" is coming out in May from MGM.

I think Fox owns the rights to the Holmes films as that is who released them on Laser. I think that there are 4 titles that are public domain; "Woman in Green", "Dressed to Kill" "Terror by Night" and one other which escapes my mind right now.

The title I most want to see is "The Scarlet Claw" although I would pick up all of them if they came out on DVD.

I would also love to see Fox put out the Charlie Chan films.