What's new

Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) ... Anyone know the plan? (1 Viewer)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
The Sharpe discs are released by Carlton. The Sherlock Holmes discs are coming from VCI (UK)'s Cinema Club label. Completely different companies.
I don't expect the Holmes discs to look stunning - the series was shot on 16mm, and the discs will be produced using the existing home video masters. They should look better than the MPI discs, though!

John CW

Supporting Actor
Really? Cool! Plus you can get yourself a Cyberhome-500 for $70+ and it plays PAL flawlessly on NTSC! Its well worth it if you ask me!

~ Johnny

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I just read Valley of Fear for the first time, so I'm ready to go for this collection. Still haven't gotten it yet, and we haven't heard from anyone who's watched them yet. It's too bad Valley of Fear wasn't adapted, as it was a great little story.

James Reader

Screenwriter
If anyone is interested, Amazon.co.uk have dropped the boxset price down to £119! However it appears to have been delayed a few extra days.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
To update HTF members on the recently released Sherlock Holmes Feature Film Collection: it's pretty excellent. As most of these were made in the mid-90s, the picture quality is vastly improved, and is sometimes quite fine. Not reference quality, but sharp and clear with little artifacting and solid blacks. I thought the Master Blackmailer had a great transfer.
I found the sound mix to be very good for the most part although there are moments where the dialogue seemed a little too low, but everything is clear.
Also, the films are fine adaptations. I love the one hour series, but these are just about a half hour longer, and in many cases it adds some nice pacing and detail to the story. Hound of the Baskervilles and Sign of Four are meant to be longer anyway, but Master Blackmailer, a short story, is expanded in a very natural and admirable way. I have not watched the Eligible Bachelor yet, but the Last Vampyre, which many people hate, I had no real problems with. It's not much of a mystery, and it's very loosely adapted from the Sussex Vampyre, but it is a stylish moody piece with interesting performances from Jeremy Brett and Hardwicke, as well as the main villain. It was an interesting thing to see the character of Holmes in this sort of setting.
If anyone is enjoying the set and has comments, please post and let us know. Or if anyone has any questions, please post and I'll do my best to answer them. Final word: although there are not as many episodes as on the first set, the films are well done and satisfying, and the DVD presentation has been greatly improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks