Sherlock Holmes In New York ?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Osato, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Osato

Osato Producer

Hello - I am very interested in obtaining a copy of Sherlock Holmes In New York starring Roger Moore. The 1976 tv film was done by 20th Century Fox and distributed on NBC it appears.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075208/companycredits

I am wondering what the general take is amoung forum members regaurding movies that will most likely never be released on dvd.

I have found the dvd online, but it is not an official release. I would like to purchase a studio released version, but the odds are that it will never be released due to low or no demand.

If I did want to contact the studio and present the case to them, what would the reaction likely be? I'm sure they have no interest in releasing the film on dvd, but that doesn't really help me in wanting to see it or own it.

Just wondering what people have done and if they have tried to take the case to the studio, etc. If they've had any success.

I appreciate your posts on this.

Thanks!

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Have you read the Forum Rules?

So, while we're waiting for a moderator to close this thread, let me try to answer your question with a hypothetical:

You're Stephen King. You've written a new novel, but for various reasons you've decided not to publish it. Your many fans really want it. Someone breaks into your home, steals a copy of the manuscript, and starts selling illegal copies from which you will not receive a dime on eBay. One of your "fans" calls you up to ask where you stand on the matter. What is your answer? Does the fact the he really wants it have anything to do with your view of some stranger profiting off a stolen copy of work that you have chosen not to offer to the public?

The films and TV movies and TV shows are the studio's property. Packaging and selling them - where and when they see potential for a profit - is how one of the ways they make their money. You and I are not entitled to the ones we want in the form we want. The studios do not owe them too us, no matter how much we may happen to want them. And we are not justified in supporting thieves who are making a profit from the hard work of others no matter how frustrated we are that a given film has not been released.

At least that is my position, informed by contact with writers, actors and others in the business who don't like crooks selling their work and thereby reducing any chance of an eventual legitimate release that they might make a little money from - because the pirate versions may kill the market for a later studio release.

Just because the studio hasn't gotten around to releasing this fairly obscure title yet doesn't mean they won't eventually - unless they see that so many bootlegs have already been sold that they conclude there is no longer a market for it. That's what buying bootlegs does.

Regards,

Joe

3. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Bootlegs also can create a market for films that nobody's ever heard of, that would probably never have gotten a legitimate release otherwise. Tons of EuroCult horror/sleaze/exploitation titles, for instance. Nobody would have heard of Jesus Franco over here if his films hadn't been bootlegged and sold over here during the '80s and '90s. This was pre-internet for most people; the first time many fans in the U.S. had read about these films was in the descriptions of the bootlegger's catalogs, and that's a fact. I'm not saying that's either good or bad, I'm just saying that's the way it was. There's no morality in a fact. Now there are many legit releases of Franco's films, and the fans have been replacing their fuzzy crapsville copies with the real deal.

Please note here that I'm not discussing specific bootlegged material, I'm not advocating bootlegging, and I'm not discussing how to bootleg, where to obtain bootlegged product, where to get copying equipment, or how to defeat copy protection.

4. Osato

Osato Producer

Thank you Joe for the post!

In no way was I asking for a non legal copy of the film and don't believe I was violating the forum rules with my question about the best way to contact the studio and / or distributor.

I believe this was included in my original post.

I want an official release of the title. I appreciate the fact that you also have strong convictions on this as I do.

Sorry if my wording was misunderstood.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

And the first time many other American horror fans heard of Franco was in books and magazines on the subject. The many, many, who did not subcribe to bootlegger's catalogs imported legitimate VHS copies of the films, or saw imported prints at conventions and the like. When legit copies of Franco's films became available these people bought them. So Franco might have been "discovered" later, but it is nonsense to claim that he was totally unknown outside the pirate community or that he would never have developed a following in this country if it weren't for the pirates.

Regards,

Joe

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    We'll leave this thread open for people who want to reply to that question. Bootleg discussions are - indeed - prohibited on this forum.

Cees

7. Osato

Osato Producer

Thank you, Cees.

If the title was made by Fox, but distributed by NBC would Fox still own the rights?

What is the best way to contact them to inquire about the release of the title?

To the best of my knowledge this film was not released on VHS in the US, however again it was broadcast on US tv in 1976. I'm not sure about overseas releases, etc. If anyone knows about this it would be great to hear from them.

Thanks.

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Certainly peoole have had success in getting the studios to release things the studios themselves were skeptical about. The film Zardoz was released on DVD because HTF fans convinced Fox to take a chance and see if there was a market for "cult" films. Warner Bros. practically had to be dragged kicking and screaming into releasing Babylon 5. (Under intense fan pressure for years, WB finally released the series pilot and a prequel DVD movie on a 2-sided double-feature disc with no extra features and no advertising support. They expected it to quietly bomb in the marketplace, thus proving they were right and silencing all those bothersome fans. When someone at Amazon.com accidently broke the embargo and posted the the disc for pre-order one weekend the disc quickly shot to the Amazon Top 10 purely based on internet "word of mouth.")

From the IMDB entry it certainly seems that Fox owns the film. (NBC is listed as the "distributor" because they aired the TV movie.) You'll find the mailing address for Fox Home Entertainment (and the home video departments of the other major studios and other DVD producers) at

The Digital Bits.

The TV on DVD site does not take requests for TV movies, only series and mini-series, but you can also post a request to the "Studio and Manufacturer Feedback" Forum here at HTF. Most of the studios have employees who at least lurk around here, and they do read that section. Fox used to have an informal policy of at least exploring the possibility of releasing any film that drew 100 replies to an HTF thread asking for its release. You might be surprised at how many people want to see this movie released, even people who have never seen it. There are plenty of Sherlock Holmes fans who will buy almost any film with the character in it, and plenty of Roger Moore fans, ditto. Should be worth a shot.

Regards,

Joe