Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Sherlock Holmes 3 (2021)

Genre: Mystery, Action, Crime

Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law

Release: 2021-12-21

Plot: Plot unknown.
Warner Bros. today dated Sherlock Holmes 3 for Christmas Day 2020. Robert Downy Jr. and Jude Law are coming back, but interestingly, they stopped short of confirming Guy Ritchie as director.

To me, this is interesting news because by the time it arrives, the last one from 2011 will be 9 years ago, and it wasn't even as well-received as the first one. I'm sure a lot of the reason for the delay is because Downy has been busy playing Iron Man, but I haven't exactly been clamoring for another one of these anyway.

Also, Ritchie's schedule is interesting. He's got Aladdin currently dated for May 24, 2019, which has wrapped filming but probably still has post-production work to do. Also, he has another project that will be introduced to buyers at Cannes which will presumably be his next film after Aladdin.

More about that one here https://deadline.com/2018/05/guy-ri...ket-return-lock-stock-snatch-turf-1202381582/ and Sherlock Holmes here http://deadline.com/2018/05/warner-bros-dates-sherlock-holmes-3-for-christmas-2020-1202384395/. If indeed they do have to replace Ritchie on Holmes, would be interesting to see who gets the job.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Game of Shadows laid a big enough egg to kill the franchise so I'm surprised they're pushing ahead with this.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Game of Shadows laid a big enough egg to kill the franchise so I'm surprised they're pushing ahead with this.
Based on what? GOS was the bigger worldwide hit ($545m vs. $524m) and was only $22 million off from the first domestically ($187m vs. $209m).

It definitely did not lay an egg at the box office. It also had better legs than the first film, with an opening weekend vs. final gross multiplier of 4.79 vs. 3.37.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The film has been pushed back a year to December 22, 2021. If it sticks to that date, it will open against Hotel Transylvania 3 and Wicked and will arrive ten years (!) after the previous film:

https://deadline.com/2019/03/sherlo...er-bros-robert-downey-jr-jude-law-1202569424/

Still no word if Guy Ritchie will return to direct or not. Also, with the recent delay of Fantastic Beasts 3, WB is probably looking at 2021 for that as well; they'll need to coordinate Jude Law's schedule so he can shoot both.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't enjoy the second as much as the first because I'm tired of the rehashing of the Professor Moriarty/Holmes encounter. The first one had a fresh villain that made it far more engaging. I'm looking forward to the third one, however, because I do like the approaches this incarnation of Holmes utilizes.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, I'd say that WB is trying to move it forward if they're negotiating with Fletcher, as the article states. So, viable at this point.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, I'd say that WB is trying to move it forward if they're negotiating with Fletcher, as the article states. So, viable at this point.
Well, that article is 5 years old.

This newer one says the Downeys are still discussing and working on it, but Fletcher sounds more ambivalent.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I think that article is from 2019. Recent news on it seems to indicate that other than Downey, nobody seems signed to anything with this at the moment and it would probably be released in 2026 at the soonest. I thought they had the thing all together but reading about it, not sure there is even a script in place.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There have been rumors about this on and off for years. It seems to be stuck in development hell.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I thought it was a Covid delayed picture that would get back up and running at the end of that, but it appears not. Now Downey is booked out for a couple of years with projects so I don't think he would get to this any time soon and being that there are no signs anything is in place for it, I think it would be a long wait before this even gets off the ground.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think it had anything to do with Covid. This has been in development since before the pandemic. I don't know if they ever actually had a script that was ready or not. It appears those involved are just doing other things.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks