What's new

Sherbourn PT-7000 Stereo Bypass Mode (1 Viewer)

Scott Turner

Auditioning
I've had the Sherbourn pre/pro (hooked to Sherbourn's 5 channel amp) for about 3 weeks now and have to say that I have been nothing short of impressed. For the price I truly believe that their equipment can not be beat. I really like the fact that it is a "bare bones" unit devoid of any gimmicky features. The simpler the better (inmho). My question is this: Should the subwoofer be heard when listening to music from my cd player in the stereo bypass mode? (this bypasses any and all processing and runs pure stereo through the analog inputs). Also, what is the difference between stereo bypass mode and simply choosing 2 channel stereo?

Thanks for any help...Scott

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
"what is the difference between stereo bypass mode and simply choosing 2 channel stereo?"

For most processors (including mine), the difference is in stereo bypass mode you are going straight to the volume control from the source with no extra processing....With 2 channel stereo, you have the ability to add bass/treble and other EQ functions so the signal is going through an extra conversion. More simply put, the bypass mode is more likly passive while the 2 channel stereo is active.

As for your subwoofer question, it depends. Some processors allow the sub to be used in bypass, some don't. It should tell you in the manual.

Scott Turner

Auditioning
Thank you Charles. That makes sense to me. As far as the manual is concerned it doesn't really explain the use of the subwoofer in stereo mode that well. I've been through it 3 or 4 times and no luck. It really doesn't matter all that much. The Sherbourn amp and my Klipsch RF-5's really do a respectable job with the low end.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Scott,

Just like the Outlaw 950, here is what happens in stereo bypass mode:

Even though stereo bypass is selected, the stereo input signal is always copied, you cannot turn this function off in the processor (you must turn the power to your sub off).

This copied signal is:
--- fed to the onboard analog-to-digital converters
--- passed through a digital crossover to produce a low-pass bass signal

Scott Turner

Auditioning
Thanks for the help everyone. I do appreciate it. By the way, what mode do you prefer listening to music in? I've been playing around with the different surround modes and believe it or not tend to like 5 channel stereo an awful lot. Better the PL-II Music mode. Just my opinion though. Do a lot of people tend to still listen to music in pure stereo?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks