What's new

Sherbourn is here! (1 Viewer)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
My 5/1500A arrived yesterday afternoon and was waiting for me when I got home from work. This is one of the demo units that AVS had on their classified section last week, so it isn't brand new, but it looks fine and should be pretty much broken in. According to Jason @ AVS, it has about 50 hours on it.
First impressions after getting it out of the box: This sucka is heavy! It weighs in right about 80 lbs., 3/4 of that in the front with the 5 toroids, so you need to be careful when lifting it. This unit has the 19" rack mount front panel that is about 3/8" thick and I am sure that it is steel, not aluminum. The main power button and blue LED are in the lower left and the white silkscreened Sherbourn logo is in the upper right. The finish is a brushed, slightly glossy black, probably a powder coat. There are ventilation perfs everywhere on the top and bottom of the unit and it is easy to see the components inside the amp. There is also a 5th foot on the bottom of the amp, centered left to right and about 4 inches back from the front. It is clearly intended to help support the torroids. There are a few very slight nicks on the unit, just enough to tell that it isn't brand new. The amp has a very clean, understated appearance without any unnecesary embelishments or frills. IOW, it looks damn fine. ;)
I had to completely disassemble my system to get it in, but other than the weight, the amp itself installed easily on the floor shelf of my rack. The back panel is well laid out and I had no trouble making my connections. I didn't have time to reconnect everything, but I did get my RX-V596 receiver, SD/A-360 CD player and Monitor 90P mains hooked up so I could listen to a few songs off the Elton John classic, Madman Across the Water, albeit at very low volume (it was getting close to midnite).
Keeping in mind that I have not calibrated and that I haven't listened at anything even approaching my normal listening levels, all I can say is WOW! I'm not sure how to explain it, but even at low levels the sound seemed to fill the room more than before. I occasionally do listen at low levels late at night, so this wasn't a competely unfamiliar listening situation. Something else that I noticed almost immediately was the clarity. The notes seemd more distinct and better resolved.
Of course, this wasn't a good test of the amp and some of it is probably 'new toy enthusiasm', but so far it seems very promising. Tonight I'll finish hooking everything up and try to do some listening at more typical volumes and perhaps some 5 channel DVD-A.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Dan, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experience with the Sherbourn. I'm considering this amp as well and *just* missed out on one of the demo units that you purchased. I'm also upgrading from an A/V receiver (Nakamichi AV-10) which I'll be using for a pre/pro for a while. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the 5/1500A's 5 channel performance. Have fun!

I purchased a used Acurus A200x5 last week (got a great deal - couldn't pass it up) and received it yesterday. After connecting everything up I spent a few hours listening to 2 channel music and 5 channel DVD, both DD and DTS. All I can say is WOW, what a difference! The Nak is a very good sounding receiver as it is, but running the preouts to the Acurus just opened the sound up immensely. Fuller, more spacious, more punch and very "effortless", for lack of a better word. When I get the Sherbourn I'll conduct a little face off and sell the loser.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Here's a preliminary review, based on 2 and 5.1 channel music listening at and above my normal listening volume. I haven't watched any movies yet, but music is my #1 priority and I am a believer that if a system reproduces music well then movies are a given.
So far, I am very impressed. Music has a slight richness that it lacked before, while at the same time being sharper and more accurate. The highs seem a little higher, but also clearer and less harsh, while the mid-range is more pronounced. Vocals seem more distinct and upfront.
But the real improvement is on the bass end. I hadn't really understood what people meant when they said that the bass sounded tight. Now I do, although I can't really explain it any better than anyone else. I think the best I can do is to say that individual bass notes and tones are better defined and less muddled. In some systems the bass tones tend to blur into each other, to create a single tones that sound "muddy". That certainly isn't the case with the Sherbourn, each bass note and instrument is clear and distinct in a way I have never heard from my system before.
The evaluation is continuing, but so far I am very happy with my choice and I highly recommend this amp. :)

Gregg Hart

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the amp. I am loving mine (picked up ther other amp from AV Science). I love the sound of this amp and am amazed how cool the unit remains after watching a movie at reference level for 2 hours. It's as if the amp was not even turned on.

This amp has brought me to heaven. I am looking forward to their new pre-amp coming out in May. I will be first in line.

Gregg

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
I've had a Sherbourn 5/1500 for about a year and a half now, and I've been nothing but pleased with my choice. In fact, I'm waiting to add another one, since I'm currently using a Yamaha DSP-A1 as a three channel amp for three surround speakers. I toyed with the idea of getting Sherbourn's 3-channel amp, but since the 5-channel wasn't much more expensive I thought it would be nice to have two extra channels just in case I wanted to add additional SV subs, or possibly bridge my fronts.

I saw the AVS website when the demos were for sale, and I've been checking the online store, but that still shows the 5/1500, with no price listed. In fact, I put one in my shopping cart to check the price, and it said $0, with $6 shipping. Let me tell you I was tempted.

Can you guys tell me where you've gotten your Sherbourns, and let me know what the 5/1500A costs? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks