Sherbourn amp volume controls

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Nep, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

I just purhcased a 1500A Sherbourn amp rated at 5x200w. My previous system was running an Odyssey Stratos for the fronts and a Parasound 855a for the rears. I have the Sherbourn hooked up to my Outlaw 950 now, but in order to reach the same db level as my previous setup with the Odyssey/Parasound combo, I have to jump the volume level up to around say 0db compared to -10db with the Odyssey/Parasound setup. Also, I don't have any trouble maxing out the volume control on the 950 with the Sherbourn hooked up whereas on the Odyssey/Parasound setup I couldn't even get close to that level without compromising my hearing. This is troublesome in that the Sherbourn is supposedly rated at 5 x 200w which should give me the ability to play louder, which it isn't. Any help or comments would be more than greatly appreciated.

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

That doesn't sound right. IIRC, the Stratos is rated at 150 wpc @ 8 ohms, so the Sherbourn should sound just as loud, if not a little loud at the same volume setting. Are you using the same cables? Have you done a direct A/B comparision at the same setting, just swapping one amp for the other? If not, try that. To simplify things, just compare the mains between the Stratos and the Sherbourn, forget about the 855a and the surround channels for the time being.

3. Guyza

Guyza Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

Have you got to the bottom of this problem?

Curious if it's just a settings oversight or if it's amp realted.

Thanks,
    Guy

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

It only means the Sherbourn has a lower sensitivity compared to the Odyssey. If driven by a large enough preamp signal it will play its rated 200W. If the Sherbourn has individual volume controls for its channels make sure they are fully open/maxed. That's why its very important to match the amp and the preamp in terms of sensitivity. Some amps are sensitive and only require 0.5V to play full output while others require 2.0V to play full output. Also the input impedance of the amps is important. If the amp has a high input impedance it will be easy to drive or IOW be sensitive. OTOH an amp with low input impedance will be hard to drive and not be as sensitive.

See where I am going? So dont worry your Sherbourn is not defective in any way. Its only that your preamp doesn't have enough juice to drive it to full output.