Sherbourn 7/2100 or Aragon 8008x

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kincade, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

Thought I'd start a new thread rather than change the subject of the old one. [​IMG] Anyway, here goes;

I'm hoping to get a push in one direction here... I recently purchased a Sherbourn 7/2100 amp, and haven't removed it from the box yet. I'd read numerous reviews of the 5/1500, and a ton of good things about them.

However, I have a chance to pick up an Aragon 8008bb for a very good price; And I'm wondering now if I haven't gone the wrong way. I could get that, and an 8008x5 or similar, and perhaps be in a better position.

To boot, lately I've read bad things about the class G operation of the sherbourne (which may or may not mean anything).

I'm about 50/50 on music/HT; speakers are the Dahlquist QX10's, extension down to 32 hz. Pre-pro will be either the AVM30 or Sunfire IV.

So, has anyone heard both? Anyone have any comments for me? I'd like to get something that will last me a while, instead of uprading in 3 months. [​IMG]

Thanks for any advice you can give!

2. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

"tap tap tap... is this thing on?" [​IMG]

Surely someone has to have heard both of these amps?

3. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Sherbourn 7/2100 (115 lbs) retails at $2850 for 7 channels.

Aragon 8008BB (dual 1.1kVA power transformers per channel, 75 lbs) retails at $2600 for 2 channels.

IMO, apples & oranges.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The Aragon 8008 amps, frankly, blow the doors off the Sherbourn IMO. [​IMG]

Plus, the Sherbourn operates in class G at higher power levels.

5. KevinB

KevinB Stunt Coordinator

I have the Sherbourn 7/2100, and think it's a great amp. The previous amp I had was a Acurus 5 x 125. I think you can't go wrong with either the Aragon or the Sherbourn. I know the Sherbourn does operate at Class G when reaching certain levels, but have never noticed any distortion with it. Hope that helps. Kevin

6. Minesh Patel

Minesh Patel Stunt Coordinator

I have the 7/2100 along with the AVM 20, and couldn't be happier. I honestly hear details and clarity in cds and dvds which I've owned for years that I didn't know existed. I've had the amp cranked to extremely high volumes and it never gives up, stable and controlled, able to deliver the goods. Delicate guitar plucks and hard hitting drum kicks sound just right, regardless of volume level.

I haven't experienced the Aragon, but I remember reading a review of it that was favorable. If you already have the Sherbourne why not hook it up and try the thing out for yourself?

7. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

Thanks for all the replies!

Ricky - I know the specs are quite different; and the sherbourn is respectable for a 7channel in 1 chassis IMHO. But do the specs translate to Sounding better?

Kevin C Brown - I take it you've heard both? How would you compare the two more specifically?

Again, I see the ClassG brought up, but I don't know what that translates to for sound????

Let me ask another question; Will the Sherbourn 7/2100 use the same amount of AC power that a 8008bb and 8008x5 will (together)?

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had the 5 channel version, the 5/5210. But I never took it out of the box. I bought it on a whim because I got such a good deal on it. But never hooked it up to my system. Maybe I'm too much of a "purist", but because there are just too many good class A/AB designs out there, I decided not to take a chance on class G.

Here's where they talk about its class G operation, and the possible consequences:

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...0072100p3.html

The Aragons will use a lot more power out of the wall than the Sherbourn.

I did have an Aragon 8008x3 in my system for 6 weeks or so a while back. One of the most transparent, powerful, and musical sounding amplifiers I've ever heard.

Look around for reviews at www.ecoustics.com , www.audioreview.com , and other places. One other thing I found out about Sherbourn, is that you can typically get them discounted up to around 40%. So for the price, it's an OK amp. But compared to Aragon? Different leagues IMO. [​IMG]

9. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply... out of curiosity, why did you sell the 8008x3?

Thanks for the power comment; I'm wondering if i'm going to be able to utilize ANY of the amps potential without running another circuit. I'm limited to 1 15a circuit in my living room for now, unless I run another. Gotta love older houses.

Keep 'em comin if you got any opinions! I'd love to hear them!

10. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Kin-I'm currently using 2 Aragon 8002's and one Nohr Le Ampll. I may eventually go all Nohr but happy for the moment. Just a suggestion to check out the Nohr's 200/watt monoblocks @$300.00ea delivered anyplace USA. If in stock, delivery will be within one week of order. Check with Namphung (cutie BTW) on availability if this has picqued your interest. Otherwise I'd prefer the Aragon over the Sherbourn even tho never hearing the latter. I've owned several amps and enjoyed them all. Regardless of the brand you finally decide on, I think your going to be happy. Visit www.Norh.com for more info.

11. Chris_Liberti

Chris_Liberti Stunt Coordinator

I think I have 2 seperate circuits in my theater. If I hook up one of the terminals of this amp up with my other equipment (preamp, DVD player, SACD player, TV) and then the other one up to a seperate circuit will this work or should I have this amp by itself on 2 seperate circuits and then the rest of my equipment on another circuit.

12. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

Jack,

How do the LeAmps sound compared to the aragons? I've read that they were unavailable/vaporware? I'm assuming that they are now available since you are using them! ;-)

Is the IRD the same unit?

http://www.ird-thailand.com/products/mb100/mb100.htm

Chris, I'm sorry - I don't understand the question (or know if it was even directed at me???)

13. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Kin- I have one Le Ampll driving an SVS ultra so can't really comment. My rec comes from the original Le's which I still have 3 (1 in use for the center). My impression of the originals is they are at least the equivilent of the Aragons thus my recommendation for the Le11's. If you decide to try these, let me suggest that you initially order one pair. Try them out, then if you like, order the remainder for a complete set-up. When product is on hand at Norh, delivery is super fast, but an e-mail to Namphung to confirm availability is advised. The IRD-100 is the same as the original Le Amp which is no longer available from Norh.

14. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

Well, I decided to buy one of both; I got an 8008bb, and i've got the sherbourn sitting here waiting to be installed. I'll post my impressions later, when I've had time to listen to both.

Thanks for all the advice!