Sherbourn 5/1500A vs. Outlaw 755??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChuckE, Jul 8, 2003.

1. ChuckE

ChuckE Extra

I recently ordered the 950/755 combo from Outlaw. I am just getting it set up. I have an opportunity to pick up a Sherbourn 5/1500A 5 channel amp. I will be using for home theater, music and television. I have Vandersteen 1cs; vcc5 center, v2w subwoofer and vsm speakers in the rear for a 5.1 set up. Has anyone directly compared these two amps? If so, what if anything will I notice?
    Thanks. Chuck

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I haven't heard the Outlaw, but from the few comments I've heard from people who have listened to both, the Sherbourn is more articulate and has better bass response. One comment I've heard a few times about the Outlaw amp is that it can be harsh or shrill on the high end. However, I don't know what the source components or speakers were and they certainly could have had an effect. FTR, I have the Sherbourn.

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Chuck, I have the 5/1500a and it is a great amp. I am biased but I think it will easily best the 755 with most situations. The thing is, I am not sure either one of those amps would be the best fit for Vandersteen speakers.

Do you know what other Vandersteen owners have used to power their speakers? You may benefit from an even warmer amp like B&K in your situation.

4. ChuckE

ChuckE Extra

Thanks for your replies. I have nothing to compare it to. I have heard that the Sherbourn amp shuts down occasionally at low volumes? Have you found this to occur?
    Thanks.

5. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Chuck:

Since the Outlaw has a return policy, why don't you go ahead and get the Sherbourn, then compare them yourself, head to head. Return the one you don't want. Both of these companies put out a fine product and it really comes down to what you prefer--after all, you have to live with it. But both of these companies want you to try their product in your home because they are confident their product will win your business, so take them up on it. Try both in your home and see what you think. Either way, you have great speakers and either amp should work well with them. If you find you prefer one over the other, you will be more satisfied with your system.

Good luck.

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Chuck:

I have the Outlaw 770 amp and it is very clean and neutral to my ears. It is neither shrill or harsh or lacking in anything. It just accurately reproduces what is put into it.
    I know you are going to love the 950/755 combo. I doubt seriously that you hear that much difference between the Sherbourn. When you get out to this class of power amp the audible difference between them will be minimal. But like others have suggested let your own ears decide.

Parker

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

There has been alot of people look at the Sherbourn and Outlaw units and ended up going with the Sherbourn. That alone tells you something.

9. ChuckE

ChuckE Extra

Thanks all. I am enjoying your feedback. Sounds like there is no "right" or "wrong" decision. I will have the surrounds hooked up in a few minutes. Will test out the 755 for myself, although I have nothing to compare it to. I thought that I might pick up a used Sherbourn and do some comparison. I could still return the Outlaw within the next 2 weeks or easily sell the Sherbourn.
    Thanks for the feedback.

10. Chris J Hall

Chris J Hall Auditioning

I have heard both...and both are very good. But, I bought the Sherbourn. I can think of no reason to warn you off from Sherbourn.

On the subject of the Sherbourn cutting off I do have some input. This has only happened when i have my volume at nearly inaudible levels WHEN I have it set to auto cut off after a few minutes of inactivity.

Hope that helps[​IMG]

11. ChuckE

ChuckE Extra

Chris, what differences between the amps did you notice in your system? I believe that I will pick up the Sherbourn and do some comparison between the two and then keep the one that best fits. I have two weeks left on the Outlaw return policy and the Sherbourns sell well in the used market. Thanks for your feedback. Chuck