What's new

Sherbourn 1500 vs Anthem mca5 (1 Viewer)

Troy TN

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any input on these two 5 channel amplifiers on quality/audio performance?

I have Klipsch RF-7 speakers and with their high efficiency and horns would either of these amps be a better fit?

Any +/- between the two?

Thanks

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Both good amps. Which one can you get a better deal on?

Can you try them both at home? That is the only real way to know which sound will please you the most.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
IMHO the Sherbourn will outperform the Anthem. I've seen the Sherbourn compared to the Parasound HCA-2205AT and the Rotel RMB-1095, and I have the Rotel. I've also auditioned the original Anthem MCA5 too, and the Rotel was just more dynamic and powerful. The MCA5 Mk.II basically just adds 2ohm capability/stability so sound-wise isn't much difference. However, I've heard the new MCA50 is quite a bit better with more headroom and power reserves. Perhaps it will compete better with the Sherbourn.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I have had both amps in my system. IMO the Sherbourn is at least a step up from the Anthem. The Sherbourn sounded more neutral to me and the bass was notably tighter and had more punch. Highs were clear and the midrange and vocals were well defined and very articulate. At reference levels on very high pitched tones there is a slight harshness to the Sherbourn, but it is very minor.

The Anthem sounded good at lower levels, but clearly struggled at high power. The bass was somewhat muddy compared to the Sherbourn and there was some sibilance on the high end. The mid-range was OK, but suffered in comparison to the Sherbourn. The Anthem also got noticably warmer than the Sherbourn, even at low levels.

Of the amps in this class that I have auditioned or demoed, I think the best are the Sherbourn 5/1500A, the Rotel 1095 and the Parasound 2205. Which is best is really a personal preference. But frankly, I don't consider the Anthem MCA-5 Series II to be in the same class as these amps, IMO it is a step down in virtually every regard.

Users who are viewing this thread