What's new

Shenmue control? (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
I just purchased Shenmue for my DC, but I haven't opened it yet. Can someone who has this game please tell me if you control Ryo in the same fashion that all the Resident Evil characters are controlled? I'm talking about how pressing left and right spins the characters in that direction, while pressing forward or backward actually gets them to move. I just can't seem to get used to this control scheme, so if Shenmue shares the same control scheme as Resident Evil, I'm afraid it will have to go back to the store. Thanks for any help.

Rob

Barry S

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't played Shenmue yet, (it's a christmas present) but the controls sound pretty straightforward. The manual says:

"Press up to have Ryo move forwards, left/right to move left/right or down to turn around. Tap left or right to have Ryo take one step to the left or right.

Press and hold L to have Ryo run in the direction he is facing. The speed at which he runs varies according to how the trigger is pressed.

To change direction without moving, press and hold B while pressing the D-pad. This is useful when you want to inspect your immediate surroundings or to adjust the direction Ryo is facing in minute detail."

Hope this helps.

Silent Hill for PS1 has the "Resident Evil" control scheme you mentioned, and while I found it very awkward at first, I soon got the hang of it. Moving the character now comes rather easily. In Silent Hill though, you must use the analog stick or it's much more difficult. I'm not sure if Shenmue will allow this, but I hope so.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
It is a Barry described. While it is a bit like RE, it's not exactly the same. Ryo doesn't pivot in place to turn around, you and don't have the situations where you're trying to quickly turn around to shoot a zombie, but you actually slowly pivot.

For this game it works well, and being able to hold the R trigger to run forward does help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks